Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

iPod touch for email, truphone, etc.? 2010/6/7 08:33
My teen son will be spending two weeks studying in Japan, and we're considering the best way to stay in touch. We were considering getting an ipod touch and loading the truphone app, which works like a phone with wi-fi. He could also use it to browse the web, etc. Looking through the threads here, it seems there isn't much free wi-fi in Japan. Is that changing at all? He will be in Fukuoka. Is it going to be pretty easy to find wi-fi, even paid (but not too pricey)? Will he be able to use his Touch to subscribe to a wi-fi provider here, or does he have to wait until he gets there? If he goes into McDonalds just to use wi-fi, will he have to buy something, too? We are considering the best options, so any ideas are welcome. Note that his dad and I will also be in Japan for part of the time he is there, so we want to all be able to reach each other somehow.
by rootles (guest)  

ipod touch 2010/6/7 09:34
We are considering the best options, so any ideas are welcome. Note that his dad and I will also be in Japan for part of the time he is there, so we want to all be able to reach each other somehow.

An ipod touch is a rather unwieldy way to keep in touch in Japan, so I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you already own one. You're basically tied to wifi spots that are not widespread. And it is likely to end up more expensive if you factor in the cost of the ipod.

Instead, I'd recommend getting a prepaid phone for your son. They cost about 5000 yen for the handset and 3000 yen for credit. It will always be connected, so you could instantly be in contact by phone or email anytime. The rates are cheap with free incoming calls and 300 yen/mo unlimited email. You can use a skype account to call your son for about 15c/min., and he can call you as well if he needs to. Pick up a rental phone for yourselves while in Japan and that should cover all your needs.

I'll try to address some of your other question though in case you're still interested in the ipod:

We were considering getting an ipod touch and loading the truphone app, which works like a phone with wi-fi.

That is a possibility. I would probably recommend the skype mobile app over the truphone app however as the rates are better (2.99/mo unlimited), and the call quality is very good.

He could also use it to browse the web, etc. Looking through the threads here, it seems there isn't much free wi-fi in Japan. Is that changing at all?

No, free wifi is not widespread and it doesn't seem to be changing for the better. Rather, it seems places that used to offer free wifi are going with the paid wifi services instead.

He will be in Fukuoka. Is it going to be pretty easy to find wi-fi, even paid (but not too pricey)?

Paid isn't difficult to find. Here's the english pages for yahoo mobilepoint bb provided by softbank (the one found at McDonalds), it may satisfy your needs.

http://tm.softbank.jp/english/consumer/wlan/index.html

If he goes into McDonalds just to use wi-fi, will he have to buy something, too?

No
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Free spot 2010/6/7 09:52
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

freespot 2010/6/7 10:03
The Tenjin wifi spot site looks interesting provided your son will be near downtown Fukuoka City. Note however, that the freespot site primarily lists paid wifi spots.

Thanks! 2010/6/7 12:19
What is Tenjin?
by rootles (guest) rate this post as useful

Tenjin 2010/6/7 12:41
Its the name of the downtown area of Fukuoka City.

Thanks! 2010/6/8 01:18
I didn't realize that. So those spots listed on the tenjin website are FREE wi-fi spots in downtown Fukuoka? Do you know if there is a similar list for other cities?
by rootles (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread