Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to order at a ramen store? 2010/6/21 02:26
Hi everyone,

I have browsed a lot of ramen blogs and I get the general idea of ordering ramen (using a machine?).

Once I put the ticket on the counter, I really don't know what to say after. I read that the host would ask for the soup base and toppings. Does anyone know what the usual soup base and toppings are? It would be great if you can provide it in Japanese because I doubt if I said bbq pork in English they would understand lol.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I will be in Japan in less than 3 weeks!
by moochi2000 (guest)  

. 2010/6/21 11:59
He won't say much other than welcome if you bought a ticket. Don't worry too much, I lived there 3 years and don't speak much Japanese (my job required English, so no practice), but got what I wanted. Just say "Ramen onagaishimasu" if no ticket machine. BTW, the Ramen is great there, everywhere!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/21 12:34
For the first time order by saying "miso, chaashuu" which means miso based soup & slices of BBQ pork.
As you get to know more,"shoyu"=soy source base, "tonkotsu"=Kyushu ramen white source base=my favorite. There are many topping options like "negi"= chopped green onion, "karakuchi"=hot chili, etc. depending on the ramen shops.
A tip: If you are really hungry, ask for "kaedama"=noodle only second for usually just 100yen extra. My kids used to do this a lot after school.

by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

basic ramen vocab 2010/6/21 12:46
Many parts of Japan have difference ways to order even after buying the ticket.

I am a ramen lover and for the most common dialog in a ramen shop (ticket or no), you should know the following.

Soup ("suupu)
gyokai suupu: fish stock soup
shouyu aji: Soy sauce based soup
miso aji: Miso based soup
shio aji: Salt based soup
tonkotsu: Pork-bone based soup
tonkotsu-shouyu: mix of pork and soy sauce
Kotteri: heavy (fatty) soup
Assari: thin (less fattY) soup

Noodle firmness (men no katasa)
katame: not fully boiled (ardente)
yowame: over boiled
chou-kata or nama: hardly boiled at all (best for Hakata ramen

Toppings
chaashuu: pork slices ('bbq pork')
buta kakuni: thick slow cooked pork chunks
shinachiku/menma: bamboo shoots
onsen tamago: half of boiled egg (soft yolk )
beni shoga: pickled ginger
goma: sesame seeds
negi: sliced green onions (best in moderation)
karashi takana: spicy takana (a vegetable like seaweed)

There are many other toppings and lingo for ramen, but these may be useful in any ramen situation.
If you have no clue as to what to order after you lay your ticket down, just say "futsuu" (normal) or "makasemasu" (I'll leave it to you).
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Ramen 2010/6/21 15:37
You guys make it so complicated.. a lot of restaurants serving ramen or domburi or udon etc. have colour photos of the various varieties each restaurant sell.

All I do is point ..so far so good..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/22 10:53
Note that not all restaurants use a machine to sell tickets. Other restaurants might have a "regular" menu. My favorite ramen place does. Any case usually there might be a picture (I can read Japanese enough to know what I want so I never really paid attention).

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread