Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bandana in Japan? 2010/6/26 15:55
I have noticed Japanese women waitresses in the US wearing bandanas - wondering how it would be perceived if I did this as a traveler. I am 50 years, female, caucasian.
by hana (guest)  

wear where 2010/6/28 10:06
Do you mean on your head like a head-scarf, or around the neck?
by rootles rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/28 10:35
I haven't seen that in the US, but I've seen it on some Japanese dramas or something, the waitress wearing a bandanna.

Also I've seen it in person, But those were okonomiyaki restaurants or little family-owned places, not something big, corporate, or fancy.

But they shouldn't have a problem with you wearing it, 1- you're a foreigner, 2- they wouldn't associate you as some kind of gang member. Unless that's the look you're going after.. lol.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/28 10:36
I have a japanese friend as well and she has dreadlocks. She wears the bandanna to work. She's a bartender.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/28 10:57
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Bandana in Japan? 2010/6/28 11:07
Yes, rootles, on the head. Like .'s web link! I'm afraid I would look specifically like a restaurant worker - in other words, I don't know if anybody else in Japan wears bandana head scarves besides restaurant workers! And if that is the situation, would it be really weird for me to do it? Or maybe because I am a foreigner, I would be perceived entirely differently...
by hana (guest) rate this post as useful

bandana 2010/6/28 11:49
And if that is the situation, would it be really weird for me to do it?

no

Or maybe because I am a foreigner, I would be perceived entirely differently...

yes
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/28 12:12
I'm a 48 year old Japanese female living in Japan and it didn't even occur to me that you'd look weird wearing a bandana on your head.

You might look like you're back from a summer camp, or you might look like a chef or waitress if you have an apron on, and you'd look like a geeky otaku if you're a guy and you wear it like a hair band, though.

It might depend on what and how you wear it.
http://www.shokunin.com/jp/tezomeya/bandana/bandana-hanbai.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

I think I understand the question. 2010/12/7 19:25
What you are wanting to know is that if a "Japanese women" wearing a bandanna that she usually wears to her work at an okonomiyaki place in japan were to wear this in the United States would she be shot thinking she was a gang member?

Highly doubtful. First of all I don't think a women from Japan would be in a gang filled area. Right? What would she be doing in those kinds of areas to begin with?

I do however think it would be different for a Yankee or Bosozoku person. I think it is their attitude that would get them into trouble more then what they are wearing.
by RyRy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread