Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cafeterias in tokyo 2010/7/7 04:23
Hello,
I would like to ask for recommendations of cafeterias in Tokyo.
I remember eating at the cafeteria of the Olympic Center in Yoyogi. They had nice selection, were cheap and there was an open bar for as much rice, furikake, drink, salads and fruits as you liked. And it was cheap too.
Could anyone recommend such cafeterias in Tokyo? Are university cafeterias normally open to outsiders? Or maybe other similar places?

Thank you!
by Ged (guest)  

Since no one seems to be reponding 2010/7/9 21:01
Ged,

Yes, university cafeterias are normally open to outsiders. Also, the ministries in Kasumigaseki area are known to provide satisfying meals in very reasonable prices.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/14 22:19
i'd like to know the average cost of a meal
by laura89 (guest) rate this post as useful

around 400-500 yen a meal 2010/7/15 10:15
Laura89,

For example, at Keio Univ. the following menu costs 462 yen which is about the average.
http://gakusyoku.52campus.com/archives/article/13555.html

... 2010/7/15 22:46
Unfortunately, most ministries, except MAFF do not allow ordinary people to enter the building without an appointment and a proper ID after 9/11. MAFF's cafeteria is still open to the public for the sake of introducing Japanese food.
by Jlady (guest) rate this post as useful

Ministries 2010/7/16 11:45
Hi again. I was also concerned about Ministry policies after 9.11 and Sarin terrorism, but I had found a blog implying you can still enter some of them.

Japan Patent Office always had a good reputation for their basement lunch meals, and this bloger, as of 2006, says that if you present your ID (if you're a tourist, I suppose it would be your passport), they will let you in after inspecting your belongings.

I don't know how accurate this information is, but it may be worth a try.

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/poeme/diary/200602080000/

... 2010/7/18 21:22
Uco-san, thank you for your information! I assume that Patent Office should be more open to the public since people visit it to submit document.

The info I wrote above is actually what I've heard from my husband who works for one of the ministries. He said that it would be pretty difficult for foreign tourists, clad in T-shirt and jeans, to enter government buildings at Kasumigaseki. But of course, it is worth a try.
by Jlady (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread