Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rice weevils 2010/8/29 17:53
Hi everyone,
What do you do about those tiny little bugs in your rice?
I've just found at least 4 rice weevils in my 3kg rice storage tin. The tin is sealed with a tupperware lid. I just picked them out and washed the rice extra thoroughly before cooking it. Now I'm wondering if I have to throw out the whole 3 kg of rice? We only got it yesterday ..
by alex (guest)  

rice 2010/8/30 09:07
You can buy things to put into your rice container which are supposed to keep weevils away- a popular one is shaped like a chilli. We have used one which contains wasabi- apparently the weevils don't like spicy things! You should find them on the shelf at the supermarket near the rice.

Also make sure your rice container can be firmly closed and have it open for as short a time as possible.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

enjoy the extra protein 2010/8/30 10:26
Don't worry too much, the weevils mostly consist of rice since thats what they are eating, just enjoy the extra protein.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Unpleasant But Harmless 2010/8/30 10:44
Try putting the infested grain in the freezer for a day or two. (Then hand pick the dead bugs out. They might make it easy for you by all coming to the top of the container before they freeze to death.) Then watch the rice carefully for a new cycle of activity in case there were any eggs that might have survived. If you then freeze the rice again before the larvae mature that will probably be the end of it. Or if you have the space you can keep the rice in the freezer for an extended period.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/8/30 10:50
Thanks! I'll have a look today in the supermarket... and "enjoy the protein"! That reminds me of the old joke:
In a restaurant
Customer : Waiter Waiter! There's a fly in my soup!
Waiter: Ssh! Keep it quiet or else everyone will want one!

Actually I find the weevils rather cute! what with their little snouts and everything... maybe that's just me!
Thanks again and enjoy your rice!
by alex (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/30 18:23
My mum has always stored rice in the freezer. I thought she was crazy :)
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Talk to shop 2010/8/31 10:57
Alex,

You might want to try talking to the shop you bought your rice. If you found the bugs within a day you bought it, that means the eggs were already there when it was at the store. The store might give you a refund or exchange the rice to new ones. Either way, you should warn the store so that they can inspect the rest of their stock. While you're at it, you can ask about what you can do with your own stock (but freezing sounds good to me).

By the way, I simply keep dried chilli in the rice stocker and my rice never catches bugs. You can throw in a bunch of dried whole chilli the traditional way, but I put them inside one of those "Ocha Pack" which are empty paper nets sold at supermarkets. That way, the chilli seeds won't mix with the rice. You can eat the chilli itself afterwards.
http://www.izumiya.co.jp/press/2008/08/1goodi.php
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/31 11:07
Whole hot peppers (red or green)

Stick them in rice or flower and the bugs will run away on their own.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

freeze it regardless 2010/8/31 14:01
freeze it first, though, otherwise you will end up with weevils everywhere, and they are hard to get rid of. They turn into the little brown moths (pantry moths). When you buy the rice, turn the bag upside down. If there are little cobwebby things in it, there are weevils in there. They also get in pasta and pet food, so I freeze everything when I get it home. I'm gonna try the chili too, but freezing it will kill what is there.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

to Pious 2010/8/31 14:24
I'm afraid that you're mixing up rice weevils (Sitophilus zeamais), tobacco beetle (Lasioderma serricorne) and pantry moth (Tinea translucens)...

Rice weevils and tabacco beetle are tiny beetles, they never turn into moth!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread