Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hummus with neri goma 2010/8/30 17:18
I love houmous/hummus!
I used to buy it in little pots at supermarkets in the UK but I cannot find it in Japan apart from in restaurants. Does anyone know anywhere that sells it in Japan?

Also I thought about making it myself and heard that instead of tahini it is possible to use neri-goma. Has anyone tried making it with neri goma? did it work or taste the same?
by gilesdesign (guest)  

hummus 2010/8/30 19:17
I have never seen hummus sold anywhere here- even in the international supermarkets, and I have looked.

I have made it using neri-goma, and yes, it turned out fine. Neri-goma is just ground sesame seeds, so no reason why it should taste very different from ground sesame seeds in other countries ;-)
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/30 19:33

I make my own hummus and yes I do use neri goma. The tahini you make with it will taste different but it works fine, you just have to try it a few times until you get the portions/textures that suit your tastes the most.
Don't use as much oil as the recipes call for!

The more important thing will be the garbanzo beans (chick peas). Yamaya sells them in 1kg bags and buy the can. You also can buy them cheaply online.
The thing with the beans is that you need a good food processor or high grade blender to get the kind of texture that you see in restaurants. Japan doesn't have a big blender/food processor culture so a lot of the stuff is crap and the good stuff gets pricey!
But cheaper equipment gives you a gritty texture that I just don't like very much.

Other than that, homemade hummus, falafel, tzatziki, tahini and pita are very easy and delicious.
I learned everything I needed to know off Youtube!
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

hey mate! 2010/8/31 17:54
hope u r all well :)
hummous is the arabic name! so i am not sure if u will find it LOL
try to search for the chick peas :)
in UK its available cuz there is a lot of arabic supermarket... i dunt know about japan!
try to search in the indian supermarkets!
they have thousands of hummos types! LOL
by the way, mixing hummous with tahiniya and lemon is the best way to surve it!
u can also add cumin and garlic :D
i know it sounds bad, but u have to try it ;)
then send me thanks mail after that :P

Regards,
Mohammad :)
by keeko66 rate this post as useful

houmous or taramasalata or tsatsiki 2010/9/1 10:37
Thanks Mohammed for the tip about ingredients, with cumin it sounds good! I will try that.
In UK hummus or houmous is very popular so it is sold in all main supermarkets not just in special arabic supermarkets....Tescos, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Morrison's etc all sell it :)

Also I think in UK we usually use spelling "houmous" not "hummus" ...not sure why though. Maybe americans use spelling hummus? maybe british like to use "ou" spellings (like colour, mould, armour etc! )

I also like TARAMASALATA ( made with cod roe / 鱈子?)
and
TSATSIKI (made with cucumber yougurt and mint)

maybe they are greek origin?...but also popular foods sold in any UK supermarket.

I wish I can find them in Japan :(

if anyone knows where I can buy houmous or taramasalata or tsatsiki you would make me a very happy man!

by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/1 13:47
The origin of hummus is probably one of the more debated issues in food culture.

Everybody claims it, nobody can prove it.

Quite a sensitive topic for some!
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

spelling of hummus 2010/9/1 14:03
I'm from New Zealand where hummus is very popular (large Lebanese immigrant population from way back, including my uncle), and that's the way we usually spell it.

Tsatziki seems to be fairly simple to make by yourself :-)

As a big fan of Middle Eastern food, in my 12 years here I have looked everywhere for hummus etc, including at a small Turkish supermarket which used to be in Shinjuku (I think it has closed now), but have never found any hummus, baba ghanoush or tsatziki, so you might have to stick to either making it yourself or eating it at restaurants while you're here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread