Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation of preservatives and ingredients 2010/9/1 16:59
Because of health issues, I try to read the ingredient list as best I can (difficult since I can't read kanji). Is there some resource that will translate various chemicals, preservatives, and/or even just common food ingredients so that I could print it out and take it with me shopping?

One I often see, off the top of my head, is something like toreharosu (spelling?) What could that be?
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

... 2010/9/1 17:52
I don't know any resources, but the word you mean must be "trehalose."
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/2 01:20
Just like any other country, there is the official list for the domestic & international food businesses by the government. You can buy the expensive books but the list is so long that if you don't read Japanese, how do you find which is which. And some banned in Japan may be allowed in other countries & vise versa. Also some may not be listed on the label just like in any other countries.
BTW:Do you know what each food additive means(benefit/harm) to you in the food in your own country? Unless you have allergic reactions to particular ingredients, it is a wasted endeavor, IMO.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread