Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japanese specialty foods at nagano 2010/9/2 10:57
hi,

i would like to know if there is anything special to eat from nagano?

regards,
janpang
by janpang  

. 2010/9/2 13:27
The Shinshu area is known for soba, buckwheat noodle, hot or cold.
Also manjyu, soy paste or custard filled, is cheap and filling.
http://live.ueda.ne.jp/soba.html
http://live.ueda.ne.jp/jiman.html
These shops are in Ueda, near Nagano.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Hachinoko 2010/9/2 13:36
Janpang,

Don't forget to try "hachinoko" (wasp larvae), which are a Nagano speciality.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

vicinity of the train station 2010/9/2 14:32
hey guys,

thanks for the tips, anyway i would like to know if these delicacies are located within the vicinity of the train station?

i would be heading to yamanuochi monkey park str8 after the meal and i dont have too much time to waste. or should i have these foods for dinner?
by janpang rate this post as useful

Oyaki 2010/9/2 22:23
They have these filled dumpling things called oyaki that are kind of a regional specialty. You can buy them at a few places outside the Nagano JR station (or sometimes a vendor will be set up inside the wicket) and take them with you to eat on the train or for an afternoon snack at the monkey park (they are a convenient hand food). I wouldn't exactly call them a delicacy, but they are kind of tasty. Try one with filled with Nozawa-na vegetable, another Nagano prefecture specialty. Other fillings are available as well.

There is a stand-up soba place in the JR station (near the main exit) that isn't too bad. It is very quick, and cheap. (If you don't feel like standing, you can take your bowl to the adjoining waiting area and sit down.) If you want fancier hand-made specialty soba I believe there are a number of places near the station but I don't have a recommendation. Sometimes the expensive shops don't taste all that much better than the cheap stand-up stalls in the train stations.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks uma! 2010/9/3 01:11
thanks for the response! seems like you know nagano pretty well!

anyway other than the dumplings,monkey park, and yamanouchi onsens, are there anything else we can do or see at nagano which is within reach of nagano station?
by janpang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread