Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Whole Chickens in Osaka or Kyoto 2010/10/3 00:20
Hi All,

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a whole chicken in Osaka or Kyoto?
I have spoken to a few friends on Skype and MSN and they all say that they have not seen a whole chicken for sale.

I know that most Japanese homes do not have an oven but I would of thought that it is cheaper to buy a chicken and cut it up in to smaller pieces. I myself would want to roast a bird for a Sunday dinner along with the spuds and veg.

Thanking you in advance,

Yahatacookie
by Yahatacookie 1  

... 2010/10/3 16:00
It's quite uncommon to find whole chickens in supermarkets but they can be had if you go to the right places.

Unlike America, for example, where growing up many of us learned to separate a raw whole chicken by the age of 8yo, I have never met a Japanese person under 30yo who'd had experience with whole chickens.

As for where to go, the Qunat supermarket often has whole chickens for a reasonable price. Costco also sells them. You also can go to a Torisei factory as they have a small retail corner.

Whole chickens run from 1000 yen to 2500 yen depending on the size and time of year.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

whole chicken 2010/10/4 11:27
I often come across small whole roasting chickens at my local grocers. Usually its the larger stores that are kinda in between grocery stores and warehouse stores that will have them. I've had pretty good luck finding them at Uokatsu and Marche, for example, but your experience will vary depending on where you live. They usually only have one kilo birds, which tends to cost 500-700 yen (and for some reason I always find ones imported from Isreal, anyone know why?).

Or you can get them online. The meat guy carries 1 and 1.5 kg roasters, as well as a host of other foul including turkeys and duck.

http://www.themeatguy.jp/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

whole chix 2010/10/4 13:03
I live up North, but I usually see whole chickens (big ones) at Ichiyama, not sure if that chain of grocery stores are down near Kyoto/Osaka as well. They are expensive, like 2000 yen, but no one knows what to do with whole chickens here, so I just wait until they go half price a few days before their freshness date. :)
Local butchers probably get whole chickens and if you ask them they can most likely sell you one that is not cut up yet.
Also, sometimes just local shops in the shopping mall have the little roasters, frozen. All the writing is in arabic, maybe that's what the last poster was talking about, I checked the pack though, it says the chickens are from Brazil. Weird.
by aya (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/10/5 00:36
Hi Kyototrans, yllwsmrf & aya,

Thanks for the feed back!
I was just curious as I would like to be able to cook some good old English roasts for family (Japanese) and friends when we return to Japan.

Regards,

Yahatacookie
by Yahatacookie 1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread