Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

International supermarket 2010/10/5 08:45
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where I can find an international supermarket around Tokyo?
by taiyou (guest)  

. 2010/10/5 12:45
What kind of items are you looking for?
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

成城石井 2010/10/5 13:05
The most famous chain I know of is Seijo Ishii / 成城石井

www.seijoishii.co.jp

There are lots (nearly 40 in Tokyo area alone!)
depends where you are but if you can read Japanese there is a list of all the tokyo stores here...
www.seijoishii.co.jp/stor_index.html

(There are stores in both shinagawa station and roppongi hills if you cannot read the website)
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Where? 2010/10/5 14:27
Where in Tokyo? There are lots, so at least narrow it down to one area of Tokyo for us.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Shinagawa 2010/10/5 18:41
Hello,

I am currently living in Shinagawa, 10 minutes away away from Shinagawa Station. I'm looking for Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam?) and I'm also hoping to find a few American items such as Rice Krispie cereal and perhaps maybe even marshmallow?
by taiyou (guest) rate this post as useful

go to 2010/10/5 21:34
Kaldis in the basement of the Wing store right next to Shinagawa Station, there is fish sauce there.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

marshmallows not rare 2010/10/5 22:09
You should be able to find marshmallows in any supermarket here, unless you are looking for a specific kind. Muji also has them.

... 2010/10/5 22:17
Apologize for using this thread. Do you know of any large supermarkets in Ikebukuro, Shinjuku or Hamamatsucho?

I am looking for Japanese Curry Paste for cooking, preserved cooked scallops/hotates (vacuumed packed individually), wide range of Japanese snacks, jellies and Japanese seasonings used for food (those that are packed well as I would like to bring them out of Japan).
by imi (guest) rate this post as useful

hmm 2010/10/5 22:52
Seibu's basement has a Jiyugaoka Garden supermarket, but that may not be exactly ideal. Still look there if you cannot find anything else.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

International stores 2010/10/6 00:30
I would love to find Extra Virgin Coconut oil or Shea Butter. It seems to be nearly impossible to find these items here.

To the original post I enjoy shopping at Kaldi, National Azabu (too expensive though depends on what you need), and on a website called i-herb.com. Cheap shipping! Almost the same as buying here if not cheaper when you purchase in bulk. Items usually get here in about 3 days.
by blackkinu rate this post as useful

supermarkets 2010/10/6 11:39
Nissin in Azabujuban is not so far from Shinagawa & I think they would do home deliveries to Shinagawa.

There is a Seiyu supermarket next to Sunshine 60 building in Ikebukuro. There is also a Yamaya - near the train line in the seedy area behind Labi (the Labi on the railway side of Meiji Dori. Yamaya is mostly a bottle shop but they have quite a selection of mostly imported food - their pasta is really cheap.

There is a Hanamasa at Ginza 9 chome - not quite Hamamatsucho.

In Shinjuku there is also a Yamaya on the Koshu Kaido. I can't think of any full size supermarkets there, though there probably is something away from the trainlines in the Kabukicho area.

by supermarkets (guest) rate this post as useful

nuoc mam 2010/10/6 11:49
Either nuoc mam or nam pla is commonly sold at ordinary supermarkets, although they come in tiny bottles. Just pronounce the word and the clerk would understand.

Otherwise, in Shinagawa area, you can go to the following shop to find more Vietnamese food.

Mecong Center (closed on Wednesdays)
http://mekong-center.net/jp/access.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Don Quijote? 2010/10/6 16:42
Out here in Hawaii, Don Quijote sells groceries. Our hotel is right by the Kabukicho Don Quijote. Would I be able to buy some groceries there? Like bread, peanut butter, jelly, etc?
by HubZilla rate this post as useful

Donki 2010/10/6 18:57
You will probably find snack items like chips and chocolate at Don Quijote, but fresher items like bread, no.

donki 2010/10/7 08:50
Regional and suburban Don Quixotes often have food, but the central Tokyo ones usually only have snacking food. Kabukicho as far as I remember is like this.

There will be convenience stores nearby, you will have plenty of options for bread and simple groceries.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/7 14:07
by kuma (guest) rate this post as useful

Shea Butter 2010/10/12 00:04
You can order online Shear butter (シアバター) from www.rakuten.co.jp or directly from this website http://www.mmoon.net/
by Leegirl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread