Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chopsticks 2010/10/14 20:23
Bit of a random question but anyway here goes...

What are the opinions in Japan of using your own chopsticks in a restaurant rather than the disposable ones that you see in most places? I'm just thinking along the lines of more eco friendly etc but not sure if it would be considered rude. Does anyone do this, is it common, is it just out and out strange?

Cheers
by GXJ710 (guest)  

my hashi 2010/10/15 12:17
There's been a recent movement which I think most people are familiar with, called "my hashi", where people are encouraged to bring their own chopsticks instead of using disposable ones. You can buy special chopsticks specifically for this purpose that screw apart and come with a carrying case. Some restaurants even offer a small discount to those that bring their own chopsticks.

But not all restaurants are familiar with the concept, and I think it could seem out of place especially in higher end restaurants, so if you are interested in using your own chopsticks just bring them with you and ask your waitress if you are in doubt.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/15 14:10
There's an interest debate over how eco using your own chopsticks actually is.

The main arguments are:
1) The wood used to make chopsticks has no other viable purpose and otherwise would be burned and create CO2 anyway.

2) Japan has a major pine pollen problem and use of pine could contribute to reduction of hay fever.

3) The water and soap used to wash My-Hashi is just as bad on the environment.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

my hashi 2010/10/15 14:16
just some thoughts on the environmental aspects:

1) The wood used to make chopsticks has no other viable purpose and otherwise would be burned and create CO2 anyway.

2) Japan has a major pine pollen problem and use of pine could contribute to reduction of hay fever.

I understand that these may not be much of a consideration as most of the disposable chopsticks are actually being imported from China. Btw, its a minor point but I think you are referring to cedar trees, rather than pine.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

pollen etc 2010/10/15 15:20
I've never heard of a pine pollen issue in Japan. Cedar (sugi) on the other hand, very much so.

Even if wari-bashi really are offcuts that wouldn't otherwise be used (which I have my doubts about), the fact that they are put in the garbage (can you imagine how many hundreds of thousands of pairs a day?!) along with their paper/plastic cases should make it obvious which the environmentally friendly option is.

I use "my hashi" when I remember to, and have never had the staff of restaurants even look twice- I think it's pretty common these days.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/15 19:47
Yeah, I meant cedar, not pine... ;-)
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/17 05:18
Is it common... I wouldn't say it's common as more as I would say there is a trend in some places to do it. Just depends on the place and situation. There are situations and places I would never imagine whipping out my own pair of chopsticks and using them instead of the ones provided.

Somewhat similar to carrying around your own fork and spoon, but not as great.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

CHOPSTICKS 2010/10/24 13:02
If you don't make a big deal of it no one will probably even notice.
by Bonsai Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread