Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toddler friendly restaurants? 2010/10/21 03:23
Hi. We have been to Tokyo a few times but around November this year it will be the first time we bring our (22 month old) toddler son. We love to eat a lot of sushi, ramen, etc. and that's where we usually go in the past, but curious if these places have reasonable accommodation for small kids (like high chairs?) Any advice in terms of what to eat/where to eat that are toddler-friendly, if we like sushi/ramen?
by e90_m3 (guest)  

. 2010/10/21 11:45
Most "kaiten-zushi" (restaurants of sushi on conveyor belt) have high chair for toddler.
As for ramen, I do not recall the shops who offer high chairs, though.
Some family restaurants serve ramen as well as other dishes, maybe you can try ramen at one of those family restaurants.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

famiresu 2010/10/21 14:14
Family restaurants are always toddler-friendly and usually have a range of items, often including ramen and sushi.

Possibilities include Royal Host, Jonathan's, Gusto, Skylark and Ootoya. Ootoya has the most Japanese menu of the above and I often see (and/or hear!) small kids there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

friendly seats mean friendly in general 2010/10/21 18:14
e90_m3,

In other words, the places that have toddler-friendly seating is toddler-friendly in other aspects as well, and vice-versa.

Ramen and sushi are toddlers' favorites and places that serve them tend to be dominated by children. Hence some ramen/sushi places are very toddler-friendly while others even do not allow small children at all.

So long story short, you should inform the shop about your toddler upon arrival. If you're making reservations, tell them you have a toddler. If you're not making reservations, ask them at the door if it's okay to bring in your toddler by pointing at your son and asking ''Okay?''.

Quite often they will guide families with children to ''zashiki'' tables where you sit flat on tatami. Otherwise some places will have high-chairs (just ask for ''hai-che-a''). If they seem reluctant about the seating, you can just leave with a smile. There are plenty of alternatives. Needless to say, although the food is not always authentic, the so-called ''family restaurant''s like Denny's or Royal Host always welcome toddlers and have high-chairs available.

Bon appetite and take it easy!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

high chairs 2010/10/22 08:34
For some reason, high chairs often seem to have no strap / inadequate seatbelt like strap.

I have seen people use long scarves in place of a strap - others would be better placed to give information on it than me.
by girltokyo rate this post as useful

Dept stores 2010/10/24 02:45
I read some dept stores have kids meals, like food in a bullet-train-shaped plates, etc.

Which Tokyo ones?
by HubZilla rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/25 10:03
Most department stores in Tokyo have a family-type restaurant which offers wide variety of dishes and most of them have kids meal.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

high chairs 2010/10/25 12:17
For some reason, high chairs often seem to have no strap / inadequate seatbelt like strap.

I've noticed this too since we've been dining out more often with our 1 yr old daughter. If your child is as squirmy as mine, I'd suggest either bringing along something to use as a seatbelt (luggage strap, short piece of rope, duct tape ;), or get one of those travel high chairs that clip to the table and fold down for transport.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread