Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sending flowers after someone dies 2010/10/21 17:11
Hi - I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I just learnt that my homestay family (from many years ago that I still have regular contact with) is about to loose a grandmother to cancer. I was wanting to send some flowers upon her passing to her daughter (my homestay mum). I was wondering if there is better/more appropiate flowers in Japan (I will order the arrangement thru a local florist here in Australia) to send after someone passes away? I know that some flowers are more appropiate (or symbolise different things)here in Australia for weddings, births and deaths etc and I dont wish to offend during someones time of morning.

Thanks in advance.
by Deaks  

. 2010/10/21 23:14
It is not comsomery to send flowers when someone dies in Japan. I think a nice sympathy card would be appreciated.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/22 14:50
Deaks,

I must say that it is not appropiate to think about people passing away when they haven't passed away yet, especially when they're almost passing away.

That said, some locals do send flowers upon people's passing away. White flowers are the safest. Lillies would be nice. Wrapping should be done in plain colors such as very light purple or a grayish color. Anything flashy, bright or happy-looking is inappropiate. For example, avoid red.

Hope it helps. And be sure you don't prepare too early. Pray for the best.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks heaps. 2010/10/26 18:16
Thanks for the info guys.

Uco my apologies if coming off 'cras'. Unfortunately my home-stay grandmother was terminally ill with cancer and was in her final days of life when I posted my question. The family had also began preperations for her passing as well (the Grandfather was taken to the hospital for his final farewells, etc). Im sorry for offending but as a nurse I guess I accept the death process a little more easily then others & as I was arranging for an international flower delivery I wanted to ensure that I was able to order any particular flowers (incase it was a difficult process) for when the time was had come.

Thanks for all the advice.
by Deaks rate this post as useful

reply to this thread