Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

pure vegetarian food in japan 2010/10/22 13:02
Hi, I want to know is it easy to get pure vegetarian food at kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, nikko, Hakone, Mt Fuji and Disney Land?
by orbe (guest)  

... 2010/10/22 17:05
Well, I guess the first question is what do you mean by "pure vegetarian". It also depends on how you hope to go about eating (fast food, restaurants, cooking, etc.).

Macrobiotic? Vegan? Vegan + honey? Mediterranean?

The term vegetarian is misused enough in America and elsewhere. You can imagine how poorly this is understood in Japan.

Short answer is, the number of "vegan" restaurants in Japan is small.

That said, you can get meals containing no meat products fairly easily but you have to understand the food because things often won't be described as "animal product-free".

Many "meatless" dishes will seasoned with spices or broths containing chicken or pork-derived flavoring.
Most every (Japanese) curry dish will contain beef or pork-based seasoning.
Even the most seemingly "pure" dishes contain fish-based flavoring.

Unless you can get a list of vegan restaurants in the cities you'll be visiting (ex. http://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/kyoto/), a safe option, as strange as it may sound, is to choose middle eastern or Indian foods (not that I in any way recommend avoiding Japanese food).
It's just that people in those cultures tend to understand the concept of "no meat" much better than Japanese people.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

pure vegetarian 2010/10/22 17:32
Hi, my pure vegetarian mean food with no meat plus no onion, garlic and egg
by orbe (guest) rate this post as useful

vegetarian 2010/10/22 18:09
Relatively easy if you do some advance research for Osaka, Kyoto and Shinjuku, more difficult in Hakone, Nikko and Mt. Fuji, and next to impossible at Disneyland other than French fries and similar.

Check the many other threads on this site about vegetarianism in Japan.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

fish stock? 2010/10/23 02:12
Orbe,

If you don't mind very light fish stock, it's very easy. All you have to do is to politely ask the waiter to omit any chunk of the things you don't want. But it's best to inform them in advance and make reservations while you're at it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/10/24 04:54
If it means you're unwilling to eat food with even fish stock, then it is pretty difficult to get by in Japan, and finding restaurants that cater to your eating habits will be more the focus of your trip than actually sightseeing.

A lot of vegetarians will eat things with fish stock while in Japan and many will put their vegetarianism on hold (this works best, but not everyone is willing to do it). Otherwise, I'd have to agree with the above poster that you really won't be able to experience Japanese food.

You didn't say that you were visiting anyone, but IF you are, do NOT burden them with having to figure out how to accommodate your "pure vegetarian diet". It's extremely rude, inconsiderate, and culturally insensitive.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/24 08:57
''It's extremely rude, inconsiderate, and culturally insensitive.''

I think this is a bit harsh.
It's not fair to calls someone's dietary choices culturally insensitive. That itself is insensitive, no?

But, to be honest it will be a burden for the average person here because even though the macrobiotic and vegan movement started in Japan, the culture represents a minute % of the population compared to other countries.

Without a doubt the biggest problem you will experience though is if you're with a group of people and trying to decide where to eat.

Cultural/religious restrictions on eating are very difficult to comply with in Japan.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Not rude depending on attitude 2010/10/24 15:25
I've showed around vegans before. They were Hindu. But they were gentlemen, and I never found anything rude about it.

They'd politely explain their needs. I would interpret that to the waiter. If the waiter says all they have is pickles, the Hindu dealt with it. But usually, the chef would come out and offer a better recipe that was not on the menu.

As I've mentioned before, it was easier on everybody when we made reservations in advance. Either way, being a picky eater and having certain policies are two different things.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread