Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vegetarian restaurants in Japan? 2010/10/24 13:43
Does anyone have any suggestions for famous (or just plain good) vegetarian restaurants in Japan? I'm planning to visit Osaka, Tokyo, and Kyoto next year, but my girlfriend doesn't eat pork, beef or seafood. She's not a vegan, so if anyone knows of anyplace good that's even remotely vegetarian, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!
by Sterno  

Vegetarian 2010/10/25 11:56
Sterno,

As often mentioned here, strictly vegetarian restaurants are not common in Japan. The "Harvest" chain of natural food restaurants might be one place to check out. While not vegetarian per se, the buffet style restaurants feature a lot of traditional Japanese-style dishes with an emphasis on vegetables and healthy eating.
There are several in the Kanto area, including one on the 8th floor of Lumine (adjoining Tobu Department Store) in Ikebukuro
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Roppongi 1-chome 2010/10/29 11:59
I saw a place that looked like it served primarily healthy dishes (veggies, etc.) in Roppongi 1-chome (use Namboku Line).

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of it but it was located on the ground level of the Ark Hills building along Roppongi Avenue going towards Roppongi. It is just before Wolfgang Puck (which is the last restaurant before the cross walk). Looked expensive.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

bonito and kelp 2010/10/29 16:29
Sterno,

As mentioned repeatedly on this forum, if she can deal with the most common soup stock in Japan which is made from dried bonito and kelp, then she can go almost anywhere and select a few dishes that match her needs.

If not, I wouldn't be so sure if the mentioned "Harvest はーべすと" restaurants would even do. You might want to ask your hotel concierge or tourist information centers for more authentic "natural food restaurants (shizenshoku restaurant)" or simply ask any restaurant while making reservations in advance.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

happy cow 2010/10/30 06:52
This is a very common question on this site and other sites about Japan, and an internet search brings up a lot of information about the topic as well. Here is the most recommended site for vegetarian restaurant listings for Japan:

http://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/

Famous vegetarian restaurants? Not really I'm afraid, vegetarianism is very far from the norm here and not mainstream enough for restaurants to be famous- most vegetarian restaurants are small, niche places, not well-known at all.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

A Few Ideas 2010/10/31 21:51
I tried Noka no daidokoro (Farmhouse Kitchen) in Tokyo a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I went to the Shinjuku branch, which was tiny and a bit cramped, but unique and fun. Here's a review:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fg20100416rs.html

I've been to the Ikebukuro Harvest and I thought it was pretty good, but I liked No No Budo (in Marunouchi) a little more:
http://www.bento.com/rev/2452.html
For something kind of similar but of local interest in Kyoto, look for an o-banzai ryori buffet place. There are any number of them.

For a change of pace from Japanese food, you can find some really good Italian food (pasta and pizza) in Japan (along with abundant mediocre Italian food, so it pays to check reviews). Lunchtime set menus are often a real bargain, and there are almost always meatless options available.

Another option is shojin ryori, although you have to watch out. It sometimes isn't completely vegetarian, and it can be quite expensive. But it's interesting to try.

Don't overlook izakayas and kappo places (Japanese pubs). You typically order food by the individual small plate and there are usually enough non-meat options to get full on.

Finally, you can always eat vegetable tempura with a pinch of salt instead of a dashi-based dipping sauce.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

list of vegi restaurants 2010/11/4 15:58
You might check this out. Japan Vegetarian Society. This got English version but I'm not sure it's exactly same as the Japanese one. The Japanese one has the list of vegi restaurants throughout Japan by prefecture.

http://www.jpvs.org/
by kingsuper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread