Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Queue culture in Japan 2010/11/5 00:55
Hi,

I would like to attend a concert (European band) in Japan (Tokyo). I know that their queue culture is strong. I don't mind to queue up in an early time. The point is, if I leave the queue for toilet or quick food, will i lose my place then ?

The concert is not big. They play in live house with 2000 persons capacity. I will go alone so want the information to prepare myself for the best possible time and place.

Thank you ;)
by dubb (guest)  

depends 2010/11/6 21:47
Unless you can arrange with the people in front/behind to hold your place for you, yes, leaving the line means losing your place in it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Go to end but need not come early 2010/11/7 00:46
Basically, you are always expected to come back to the END of the queue, however, this will not really affect your order, because the order of entrance is pretty much decided by the number printed on your ticket. At most concerts, you don't even have to show up that early.

It might depend on the venue, but as far as I know, at most venues where queueing is required, in other words where seating is not fixed per seat but per block, you are expected to queue at about 30 minutes before doors open. There will be an announcement, and after this, you usually are kindly asked to stay at your place, because sooner or later the queue will start moving. A 2000 capacity venue needs more than 30 minutes to get all the people in.

If it's before this announcement, you are free to go anywhere, and as I've mentioned previously, it will not affect your viewpoint even if you queue at the end of your queue block.

However, note that if you want to buy rare merchandise, you usually are advised to show up early just for the merchandise. The queue for merchandise and the queue for the concert are usually separate.

It may sound complicated when you read it, but it's actually very simple.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Q 2010/11/7 01:21
Thanks Sira and Uco.

I know, in general I will be losing the place if I leave (anywhere). I heard that in UK, people start to queue up from 4.00 am (they sleep there). Of course they have to leave for toilet or food. But it might happen for a minute and if they can tell people aside about coming back.

I am not sure that if my tickets have number on it. (all in Japanese) But as in my country, there is never a number or code. It only tells gate-seat number.

My venues are all standing ticket. So what I hope is to get the front row to barrier.

Last year I was to see a music festival (indoor) but the band cancelled a day before. Then I hadn't joined it and not know how to Q and announcement went on.

I try to hang around in an early time and see how it goes on. Well, I were missing the concert because of their cancellation for twice, and this is my 3rd trial to challenge my destiny. So I would grab the best opportunity and wouldn't miss a thing.

If you have more information that I should know, don't hesitate to drop the lines. Appreciated for helps :)
by dubb (guest) rate this post as useful

seiri bango 2010/11/9 01:31
Dubb,

Where exactly are you seeing the concert? For example, at Zepp they always have numbers like "BR58" printed on the lower part of your ticket.

Look for Japanese letters that say ®—”Ô† meaning reference number. For example, in Zepp's case, "BR58" means you're in the B block Right-hand side and will be the 58th person in that section who will be granted enterance. Upon entrance, they will be calling out numbers in Japanese, for example, "gojuuban kara rokujuuban no kata! (those between 50 and 60!)"

If you can tell us the name of the venue, someone may be able to give you advise. Entrance information are posted all over the internet (usually in the local language).

By the way, there is usually only one "gate" and even one door at 2000 capacity venues. You have to go to places as big as Budokan to be separated depending on your nearest door.

Then 2010/11/9 01:43
Thanks Uco,

The venues are
Studio Coast (Shin-Kiba / Tokyo)
Bayhall (Yokohama)

Please educate me, how 2000 people will come and queue by order ? If my order is 500th, then how do I know that where is 499th ??? (sorry if this is sort of stupid question. I normally go for concert here but as said, never queue by order. It is like first come first serve)

Cheers

number 2010/11/9 13:56
There will be people calling out the ticket order (for example, they'll call 1-50, and people with those numbers will line up in order, then 51-100). If you come and everyone is already in line just ask down the line until you find your place or show your ticket to staff and they will put you in the right spot. Then people will be let into the venue in groups by number. If you come too late to a standing show, however, you will end up in the back no matter how good your ticket number since everyone will have gone in already so make sure you're there a bit before the doors open to get in line.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reference numbers 2010/11/10 00:17
dubb,

Vita explains it well. And from a quick internet search, both venues do give out reference numbers that show the order of your enterance.

In most cases the number is printed on your ticket, but in other cases, numbers are handed out say an hour before they open the door.

Either way, venues do their best to avoid people from queueing long hours, as queues may often annoy the public. For example, even when handing out numbers, they will give out random numbers instead of giving good numbers to those who'd shown up earlier.

Therefore, 2000 capacity venue fans usually concentrate on going to the toilet prior to door opening time and on keeping your best spot once you've went inside, rather than on showing up early (again, unless you're aiming for rare merchandize).

I think I have numbers 2010/11/10 02:13
hi Vita and Uco, thanks for coming back !

This is my tickets
http://www.msppedia.org/images/thumb/a/a5/Tokyo.gif/800px-Tokyo.gif

http://www.msppedia.org/images/thumb/d/df/Yokohama-bayhall-ticket.gif/...

If my guess is right, I got 536th and 91th, isn't it ?

And now I know how early I should turn up.
Thanks for help :)

Yes 2010/11/10 10:33
dubb wrote:
"If my guess is right, I got 536th and 91th, isn't it ?"

That's correct. Or perhaps you can say that you have "A 91" on the second ticket.

I've never been to either of these venues, so I'm not sure, but quite often, at last minutes they call out about 10 people in a hurry. For example, they make you queue in blocks for say 30 minutes or so, but once the doors are open, they quickly say something like, "Those from 530 to 540, quickly come this way!"

So at the venue, be sure to try to find some nice people around your number so that they understand you can't figure out the Japanese announcements unless someone tells you in English that it's your turn.

Hope you enjoy the show!

ticket number 2010/11/10 15:32
I have been to studio coast. People enter according to their ticket number just like Uco said.
by the man (guest) rate this post as useful

@dubb 2011/1/5 13:13
Interesting thread! I would very much like to know how did the concert went for you!

Just like you, I am planning to attend a concert in Japan and like you, I'll probably go alone. Any difficulties? Would you recommend it?

thanks!
by undine (guest) rate this post as useful

@undine 2011/1/5 17:31
I went back from Japan trip and concerts.
It's my pleasure to tell the story.

I had joint the at 2 venues, which 2400 and 1200 persons capacity. And it needed to be called by ticket number only. Then it's your luck if you have got the very early number.

The called fast in Japanese. Ask people out there for your number.

You don't have to go to the place in an very early time, 30 mins before open time is fine. Only if you want to talk with the fans or wait for the band at the soundcheck. You might be lucky to see them.

I went there very early in the first day but nothing. I turned up 3 hours before time at the second day and luckily saw the band when they came up to soundcheck. Also after the concert, I waited a bit and found they left the place and bye bye the fans.

Be well prepared yourself for the concert. Try to get the locker quickly. There are small quantity of lockers, it's not for everyone (300 Yen) So that you won't waste time to find cloak room (i am not sure if there are in every places) to deposit your belongings, then catch the best place.

Hope this helps some ways :D

@dubb 2011/1/5 19:25
woah. seems like you had fun!

Did you alone? How proficient is your Japanese?

Because it's quite admirable for someone, a foreigner in that, to go to a Japanese concert flocked by Japanese audience!

Moreover, if I may, what is he venue of the concert you attended?

Sorry! I'm super interested in your experience. You see, I am also in a pinch right now on whether I should see a concert granted that I will be alone and that I am not that proficient in Nihongo. :(

queuing 2011/1/5 23:23
Similar situation here: I'm flying to Tokyo & heading for a couple of shows at Yokohama Arena (capacity 17,000) and I definitely do not want to be at the back for this hah. So I'm a little confused: I know because of the ticket numbers you don't HAVE to queue early - but if you DO queue early, do you get priority entrance? As in, do they let the people who queue in first before calling out numbers? Anyone know? :D
by stasisflurry (guest) rate this post as useful

experience 2011/1/6 00:37
@undine

I did have a lot of fun there. Sure my dream became so true. I flied out for the concert as the main purpose.

People say, foreigners will receive the priority in Japan. Um,,, in my opinion,,, it only happens sometimes. Or probably, I accidentally look like local Japanese, so I didn't get any special treats, hahahaha.

Before going, I never know their concert culture. That's why I asked here. Just knew from here that it's by number -*-. I was quite confused too !!!

My concerts were held at Studio Coast/Tokyo and Bay Hall/Yokohama. I went alone. It was so lonely on the first day. I was there from 12.00. I was hoping to see the band. (I once luckily met them at the soundcheck (not in Japan) so I really wish I would get it again. But nothing. There were few fans around, waiting 3-4 hours before time. I didn't talk to anyone. They didn't talk to anyone either. One of the thing is langauge barrier. I don't speak any Japanese. Most of them don't speak English too.

Second day, I luckily met a fan which is half Japanease-English, so we had fun talking. Also, he didn't know any concert culture in Japan and he was quite shocked when I told him the rules (number calling, drink charge required) Also, I met a Japanese fan who fluently speak English. We met up again later day.

As I know, some fans followed the band at the hotel and they were kind enough to have a little time with fans. That's so jeolous.

For my personal experience, if you like to see them, you might try waiting. It's only chance and luck. If you really go for the concert, I really recommend you a try. You might be lucky and you will never forget that best moment.

-------------------------------------
@stasisflurry

Last 1.5 years I intended to see the same band at Yokohama Arena but they cancelled two days before the show T-T

As I know, there are free standing area and fixed seat area. The detail is stated in ticket (colors, gate number - they might call by color - My Japanese friend told me to listen for my color ''yellow'' in Japanese T-T. Same thing that you don't have to queue up. As I know, no priority, it's NOT First-come-first-serve. At Studio Coast , they called and checked the number in your ticket !! It's like they were calling students to the classroom.

However, if you want to buy the merchandise, my concert started to sell 1 hour before opening time. Some famous bands have the very longgggggggggggggggggggggg queue for this, be aware.

Hope this is not too long story :)

@dubb 2011/1/6 01:00
Weird how it's numbered even with standing area tickets! Disappointing- I was hoping I can queue so I'll be closer to the front. :( Oh well!
by stasisflurry (guest) rate this post as useful

@stasisflurry 2011/1/6 01:03
Mine is all standing area too (actually there are balcony seat, but not fixed) they call number for first number means first come in. That's why people try to buy ticket at the first minute and it's always sold out quickly :~

.. 2011/1/6 22:33
Ah! Glad to hear you had fun.

I just wanted to hear how it went because I think I'm in the same boat...deciding whether I should go to a Japanese concert ALONE.I would have to purchase my ticket through shopping service if I do decide.

So I should go huh?

thanks for sharing me your experience!

only you know 2011/1/7 02:02
Undine,

It's only you know. If your heart is calling, just go. Japan is nice, people, food, places are all nice. :D

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread