Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

Wearing A Kilt in Japan 2010/11/6 20:42
I am going to Japan for a week, and would like to wear my kilt. However a Japanese person told me that Japanese people would not recognise it and think I was wearing a skirt, and that may cause some problems.

I wondered if this is true, or not?

Thanks
by BiggBlue  

. 2010/11/7 09:20
I think the majority of us know what a kilt is, but if you wear it, expect a lot of stare and maybe a chuckle here and there :)
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

no problem 2010/11/7 10:20
i see enough blokes dressed up as women that even if people thought you were wearing a skirt, i don't think you would have much problem. If you are heading to the country-side it may be a different story but tokyo won't be a problem.

I think most japanese know what a kilt is, anyway.
by rick (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/7 16:01
You can wear whatever you please as long as you are not exposing any private parts.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

kilt 2010/11/7 16:35
If you are in downtown Tokyo or Osaka, you will see people dressed way more outlandishly than in a kilt, which as above most Japanese people have seen before anyway. You might get a few second looks, but I'm assuming that would happen anywhere outside Scotland.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Just curious 2010/11/7 19:54
Hi,
Just wondering why you want to dress up with a kilt (=skirt) while visiting Japan?
(Do you see people walking around in kimono in your country, Scotland i assume?)
Have a nice trip
Butch
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Kilt in Japan 2010/11/8 06:48
I too wonder why you would want to wear a kilt in Japan. Are you trying to prove something?
I never saw a Scottish man wearing one abroad, except if it's some sort of promotion of something. Have yet to see other people (except for Indian women wearing saris's) wearing their national costumes when vacationing abroad.

And btw, in regards to:
that even if people thought you were wearing a skirt,
---------

let's face it, you ARE wearing a skirt! You can call a kilt anyway you want, you can call it blue, it's still a skirt by definition of a skirt.
It's NOT something in between, it's a skirt, a skirt worn by males from Scotland.
by Jagoda (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/8 09:50
I don't know what's up with all the kilt hating going on but I think it's great that you'd consider wearing your kilt.

Maybe it leads to some conversation and new relationships. Definitely nothing to make fun of or bash as some people are doing.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

go for it 2010/11/8 10:49
A kilt is a kilt, if someone is hung up on calling it a skirt, they should take their issues elsewhere. The original poster has no need to justify his actions or defend whether or not it is customary for Scotsmen to wear kilts abroad. He should wear his kilt and enjoy Japan.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

xenophobic 2010/11/8 10:58
I also find the kilt hating a bit strange and xenophobic.
In reply to the previous poster saying why would anyone wear a kilt in japan , there are several reasons for wearing a kilt other than being attention seeking as you seem to suggest, especially in occasions like weddings or formal dinners in my country Scottish people will often wear a kilt with a jacket.
Its just the same as a Japanese person wearing a kimono to a wedding in the UK. I think many people would be delighted that they shared a little bit of Japanese culture and traditions. Many people might not have had a chance to see a kimono up close Id imagine. Nobody would disrespect Japanese traditions and shout why are you wearing a curtain!

by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

kilts 2010/11/8 11:36
I'm not sure calling a kilt a skirt necessarily implies you have issues or hang ups. A kilt is a skirt by definition, so worring if people think you're wearing a skirt is like worrying if people think jeans are pants.

But the OP's question was would wearing a kilt cause problems in Japan, and I agree with those that have already posted that it probably won't cause any trouble, but you definitely are inviting possible stares and questions. But that's the point isn't it, otherwise someone who prefers to be nondescript would choose to blend in better.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Kilt 2010/11/8 14:29
I live in Vancouver, Canada and both here and in Seattle (USA) I have seen guys of various ages wearing kilts and they weren't Scots. No one think that it is strange..I have also seen ladies wearing kimonos in both towns . They weren't staff in a Japanese restaurant, just Japanese ladies on their way to a social function with non-Japanese friends.
This is the 21st century after all..when we are a little less parochial than years ago...
I wish that more people wore traditional clothes from their culture to everyday events......
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

kilt 2010/11/8 15:23
The fact that you can recall instances where you've seen someone wearing a kilt or kimono reinforces that people will notice you. At the least, its just something to be aware of. Btw, no one is saying that he shouldn't wear a kilt, just that he should be prepared to attract attention (and not necessarily bad attention at that).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

clothes 2010/11/9 04:26
yllwsmrf, I see your point but then I notice the clothes worn by hundreds of people each day...simply from the aesthetic point of view , in the same way that I notice many faces, posters, flowers, window displays etc. as I am a very visual person..if that is the correct term...
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

No Problem 2010/11/9 11:11
I would say especially if you are going to somewhere like Tokyo, it is fine to wear a kilt. I like the look of Kilts! I have many friends who wear unusual attire and no one cares. Don't worry about it and if someone sees they may just be admiring it!
by umikohime rate this post as useful

Kilt 2010/11/11 02:05
gFitting inh in Japan is very important. I would think wearing a kilt everywhere would be making a statement that you did not want to fit in. If you were going out with a woman in a kimono then I think it would be appropriate. Many people donft realize how difficult wearing a kimono is. So in order to show respect for the lady you are with, a good suit or good kilt, or other good clothing is called for. A woman in a kimono is very special so I would ask her what she would prefer. New Years eve, or Obon festivals, if you are participating, may be OK too.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/11 13:24
Since OP is visiting Japan only for a week, there's no need for him to worry about if he'd be blended in well.
As far as he does not mind getting some attention, he can wear it all the time during his stay if he wishes to.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2010/11/11 13:31
Yeah lets face it, theres not much hope of foreigners blending in easily unless you look a bit Japanese. Even when wearing a standard salary man suit I still get stared at.
Just do not sit on the yamanote line with your legs apart (especially if you are traditional by not wearing underwear!) you might be arrested.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

No problems but possibly much attention 2010/11/11 20:08
If you want to draw attention by clothing for whatever reason, it's ok to wear a Kilt in Japan. If you also want to attract attention back in Scotland, you can buy a Kimono here and bring it back. Yukata-type Kimono is not much expensive and can be easily worn.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/11/11 23:43
Still hope the OP tells us why he want to wear a kilt in Japan during his one week visit.
Butch
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

reply to this thread