Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bank transfer ok to send wedding gift? 2010/11/8 01:26
Hy all,

A very good Japanese friend of mine is getting married. She will have a small wedding with families as guests.
I am from Europe and I will not attend the wedding but I would love to send her a gift. Since I see it is a custom to send 30.000 or 50.000 YEN I would like to transfer her the money. But I have two big concerns:
-I don't know the bank account and I wonder if I would offend her it I asked for the bank account number
-also, would it be appropriate to send money via bank transfer? I don't really see any other option since I am from Europe and she's from Japan.

Thanks for your advice and time.
by Andreea (guest)  

... 2010/11/8 12:12
Andreea,

The "custom" of giving money is for guests attending the wedding ceremony and the banquet, partly for helping with the expenses for hosting the banquet and everything. So it would not be really appropriate for a non-attending friend to send money. Rather than that, I believe that sending a happy wedding! kind of card, or asking if there is something she would like to have for decorating her new home (possibly) from Europe would be nicer :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread