Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping culture in Japan 2010/11/26 08:41
I see a lot of people in Tokyo shopping on a week day and some even at 2pm when normal people should be working. In fact the way people dine/shop you can't really tell if it's a week day, a holiday, or the week before Xmas (compare to people in the US).

Just wondering, is this a culture thing and where do people get all the money to shop like this? Are there a lot of high-paying jobs in Tokyo? But still, there are tons of young people who are like this, doubt they are all accomplished professionals?
by e90_m3 (guest)  

Not cultural 2010/11/26 10:27
It could be just:
-Uni Students spending their parents' money
-Housewives spending their husband's money
-Hostesses/Hosts blowing their last night's pay
-People on their day off just shopping
-Non-Japanese Asian tourists

Tokyo has a LOT of people, so of course you'll get a mix of the above and more on weekdays. I don't think its cultural at all.

But you definitely do (will) see a lot more people out and about on the weekdays during the yearly sales/bargains that hit around end/start of the year and summer.

In my opinion, the only unique shopping culture in Japan is Christmas time. I wouldn't say Japan has a "Christmas Rush" since it's not that big of a consumer season compared to the states (but Xmas sales do exist). However, (Love)Hotels, restaurants, and bakeries are usually busy with Christmas Eve being the big day rather than Christmas Day itself.
Also, people spend a lot for New Years for presents, buying ingredients for New Years food, buying new kimonos for hatsumode (New Year's first visit to shrine/temple) and bounenkai/shinnenkai (End of Year/New Year) parties.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Off Topic 2010/11/26 11:37
Housewives spending their husband's money

Husbands' money? Tell me you are kidding:)
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

OFF TOPIC 2010/11/26 12:26
@Ikuyo Kuruyo -- lol, I didn't mean to sound sexist there, but assuming that the housewives are not working, then who's money are they spending? Same goes for non-working husbands spending their wife's money! Works both ways.

Hope to see you all out in the shopping crowds this year! Let's get this economy back on track!
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

not everyone is Mon-Fri 2010/11/26 13:11
There are countless jobs in the service industry here where normal people do not work Monday to Friday and have some weekdays off- think people who work in retail, hotels, security, restaurants, hospitals- the possibilities are endless.

I personally have Wednesday and some afternoons off, so I prefer to shop at those times rather than the weekends when stations and shops are more crowded.

As for having a lot of money, are they all buying really big ticket items? I don't think so. It doesn't need a lot of money to buy a bag full of clothes at Uniqlo for example.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

lot less crowded 2010/11/27 18:29
Sira's right. Plus, weekdays are DEFINATELY less crowded than weekends or lunch hours or the evening hours. No doubt. Btw, I'm sure Jmarkley meant, ''professional housewives shopping for her family relying on her husband's income.''

Back to work.
by Uco, freelancer working on a Sat night (guest) rate this post as useful

Nothing special 2010/11/29 08:21
The culture of consumption in Tokyo is no different than what you'll find in New York or other major city.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread