Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Corn Flour in Japan? 2010/11/30 05:10
Is it possible to buy corn_flour in Japan? or even just Corn? Like the one Mexicans use to prepare ''Tortillas''?
by warchild0979  

yeah but might be expensive 2010/11/30 12:24
If you go to foreign import grocery chains, they should have plenty of corn flower or even prepacked tortillas.

I've sometimes found things like that at Sony Plaza or the underground grocery stores beneath big department stores. But, they may be a lot more expensive than you hope.

Corn is sold in most (if not, all) Japanese grocery stores, but usually priced individually, not sold by the lbs. Frankly, I think going about buying corn flour OR corn is too expensive in the end and all the work/money I'd go through preparing stuff (oil, gas, time) is better enjoyed at a Mexican restaurant, etc.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/11/30 12:30
Well, That is actually good info! I'm not planning to buy as an individual.. I would like to open a buisiness... You know, preparing and maybe selling tortilla there, I have some money that I would like to invest ^^
by warchild0979 rate this post as useful

name 2010/12/1 10:47
"Corn Flour" also goes under the American name "Corn Starch".
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

to Sandy 2010/12/1 13:00
Corn flour and corn starch are two different things. You cannot make tortilla with corn starch.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

tomizawa shoten 2010/12/1 16:17
by masako (guest) rate this post as useful

?? 2010/12/3 09:51
"Corn flour and corn starch are two different things. You cannot make tortilla with corn starch."

Not in UK, Australia, NZ etc....

In those countries, what is called "corn starch" in the US is called "corn flour".

There needs to be an awareness of the names and differences to be able to buy the right thing in Japan.

The unambiguous name for flour used for tortillas is Cornmeal, flour ground from dried corn.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/12/3 10:27
''Corn flour and corn starch are two different things. You cannot make tortilla with corn starch.''

Not in UK, Australia, NZ etc....

In those countries, what is called ''corn starch'' in the US is called ''corn flour''.

There needs to be an awareness of the names and differences to be able to buy the right thing in Japan.

The unambiguous name for flour used for tortillas is Cornmeal, flour ground from dried corn.

I know that sometimes ''corn starch'' is sold under the name of ''corn flour'' in UK and some other English speaking countries, but not the other way round.

''Corn flour'' is flour made of corn (maize) but ''corn starch'' (which can be also sold as ''corn flour'') is starch extracted from corn/maize and with this you cannot make tortilla.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Corn 2010/12/5 11:02
USA-Corn flour (masa harina) is made from dried corn which has been slaked(soaked in lime water). Masa is used for making corn tortillas as well as tamales, empanadas, etc. Corn starch is a fine powdery flour made frrom the endosperm of corn kernals. Corn starch is used as a thickener for sauces, puddings, soups, etc.
by AL (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread