Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The name Kai 2010/12/27 21:26
I came across this name in a magazine for 2 boys. It has Japanese "ka" and "i" but for some reason I still wonder if it is a real (i.e, traditional) Japanese name. Or maybe it is a more modern name? Also, is it just a boy's name or is it a unisex name?
by MomotaroPeachBoy (guest)  

Search keywords "name kai" 2010/12/28 14:16
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

the name kai 2011/1/4 03:19
Kai is not a traditional Japanese name.

by umiumi (guest) rate this post as useful

The name Kai 2011/1/5 09:14
The word 'kai' is the Maori word for food. I know it is used in some countries other than New Zealand as a boys name.
by gumma (guest) rate this post as useful

KAi desuyo, the name 2011/1/6 06:04
For those wondering what kai means in Japanese in reference to sea or ocean, this may be simple way to explain:

Umi (C is said umi) means sea or ocean in Japanese by this character by itself. Ocean is also written in chararcters m=taiyou. A character umi (C) can be said kai if this character is used with another character such as kaiyou=Cm which means ocean;@kaikou=C` means a seaport; kaikou=Ca means deep...etc

In Hawaiian language KAI means sea and sometimes it means water. So if your name is KAI and pronounced KAI and supposed to mean sea, I believe is Hawaiian name.

Umi and Kai 2011/1/6 07:36
I am Umi and have a relative with name of Kai. He is a boy 6 yrs. His kanji is for ocean. Mine is for Sea. It is so cute he has a similar but more masculine name meaning as sea is smaller than ocean. I like the name Kai so much. My name is a little old fashion maybe as not too many young girls have the name Umi. My previous boyfriend did not like my name. He wanted me to change to a more trendy name but I think it was not a good idea. My husband likes my name name which I think sounds nice with last name of Fujii so I am happy.
Kai is a strong name. My male friend from Osaka wanted to tease my relative called him like this- "Kai, you are so Shellfish" (like selfish) but the kanji for my relative was for the meaning ocean and not for shellfish.It was a joke and made Kai laugh.
by umikohime rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/11 23:52
Thanks! All your responses are very helpful!
by MomotaroPeachBoy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/12 00:01
Oh, also, just curious to know your opinion.....

when you first heard the name Kai, did you think it was a boy name or a girl name?
by MomotaroPeachBoy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/12 01:07
"when you first heard the name Kai, did you think it was a boy name or a girl name?"

I first heard the name Kai by being told, "Hi, I'm Kai." by a four year old boy, so I guess I can say that I didn't even give it a thought.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2011/1/12 14:47
Kaiko?

My observation 2011/1/13 14:45
It seems to be a very popular name for boys who have one Japanese parent and one foreign parent!
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread