Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is there to eat in Japan? 2011/1/4 03:55
I heading to Japan in the fall and I am worried that there on't be anything to eat. I like seafood but cooked. I have never tried anything like fish eggs and the only fish I like salmon and sometimes crab and shrimp. Will I survive?
by Tenie  

... 2011/1/4 08:36
For open minded people, Japan has to offer an abundance of wonderful dishes and seasonal ingredients around the year, and especially in autumn. There is also a large local variation of dishes and ingredients. One of the best ways to enjoy seasonal, local meal is by staying at a traditional ryokan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2029.html

For less open minded people, there are lots of McDonalds and other Western style fast food chains.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/4 09:20
The question is more like "what isn't there to eat in Japan?"

Believe it or not, Japanese people eat cooked fish as well. They also eat vegetables, fruit, rice, pasta, pizza, curry, stews, bread, cheese, hamburgers, chicken and as above, there are even McDonalds and Starbucks here- I'm sure you won't starve.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

depends 2011/1/4 10:41
Depending on where exactly you're going, you can find any kind of western food if you so desire. Kind of ruins the excitement of experiencing a new culture but don't worry, you won't starve.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/4 11:09
In Tokyo alone, there are restaurants specializing in food from nearly 170 countries around the world.
This doesn't even include the vast culture that is Japanese food.
There are hundreds of specialty stores for ingredients and thousands of fast food shops.

I am sure you will have plenty of food options.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

You'll be Ok 2011/1/4 12:49
I detest most all Japanese food and can get by here. Kaldi Coffee farm and Costco have foods you are more used to if you plan to cook at home.

Eating out? Salziera (sp?) and Royal Host and McDs, BK, KFC are all places I frequent often.

by T (guest) rate this post as useful

food 2011/1/5 04:10
One sincerely hope that T is joking...or else he/she is a masochist.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

gohan wo shoshinsha 2011/1/5 16:50
I highly recommend you the dish called SUKIYAKI. Great for everybody. It's cooked with vegetables and beef or other meats. You eat it with rice though for roughage and don't forget eat your vegetables.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Food... 2011/1/6 02:25
"Will I survive?"

Yes. More than likely you will not only survive but you will discover a whole new world of delicious (and not necessarily expensive) food.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread