Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy vegi meat product ? 2011/1/9 18:36
I'm a vegitarian and used to buy these vegi meat products at supers near home like King super, Safe way etc. In Japan, when I took a look around the super here, they don't have anything of these. Where can I get these in Japan, any suggestion?
by soymik (guest)  

Make your own 2011/1/10 09:04
You could just make some of your own. I'm going to be moving to Japan within in the next couple months, and I've been looking for ages for fake meats. Since I've had no luck, I'm just going to make my own. Some ingredients will be hard to find, so I'm bringing things like Nutritional Yeast, Vegetable Broth, etc. over.

VEGWEB.COM

Great Vegan and Vegetarian recipes.

by KC (guest) rate this post as useful

Meat substitutes 2011/1/10 09:28
Soymik,

You don'y say where in Japan you are, but if you have a Seijo Ishii supermarket near you, they sell a small range of canned soy protein meat substitutes - notably mince and small sausages. Apart from these, though, as you have probably already discovered, "vegetarian meat substitutes" are not at all common in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

health food or chinese supermarkets 2011/2/2 21:45
Health food or natural food stores (like Natural House on Aoyama-dori near Omotesando station) sell quite a few of these products. The biggest range in Japan are made by San-iku foods http://www.san-iku.co.jp/
They are the same ones stocked by Seijo Ishii but you will usually find a bigger range at health food stores. Ask around and see if you can find your local Shizenshokuhin-ten (natural foods store).

Or if there is a Chinese community near you, they also have a strong tradition of tinned or frozen meat-substitutes - it may be hard to spot them if you don't read Chinese or Japanese though.

Otherwise, just make the most of all the varieties of tofu, fu (gluten products - like seitan), yuba (dried beancurd skin) etc that you can find in a normal Japanese supermarket.
by tokyoite (guest) rate this post as useful

you can 2011/2/4 08:55
In Yokohama Chinatown, there is a small intimate Taiwanese restaurant-with its authentic 'gluten vegetarian dishes' -look alike/favoured meats. In the 30 years, the owner accumulates strong patron groups in Chinese,Japanese and other Asians to its original Taiwanese dishes and reasonable prices.

Plus, it serves non-vegetarian dishes with an all time favorite: rice wine soaked seafood.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread