Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yukata etiquette 2011/1/11 10:14
I am going to Japan for 2 months with my 14 years old daughter. We are planing to participate to many matsuri. My daughter wants a yukata for those events and made me promise i would buy both of us said clothing. I made some research and found that it is mainly a young women thing. I'm 45, slim and fit. Would it be too chocking for me to wear one in public? Even a black and white one?
Another thing is bothering me, in case i could wear one. Even though i'm slim, i am kind of busty. Do i have to flatten my chest in some kind of way? I never saw a photo of a woman wearing a yukata and her having a big chest.
by Maruxa (guest)  

... 2011/1/11 11:31
It would be absolutely no problem for you to wear a yukata at all :)

Um, I mean, no need to flatten anything, but you "could" wear a sports bra type of underwear so that the body line would not be very conspicuous. Of course there are busty women in Japan, and when they wear the "proper" full kimono, they often wrap towels around the waist line to "even out," if you know what I mean. But with yukata, there is no need to do that, it's a light summer wear anyway :)

Another etiquette (that many young Japanese girls skip and shock some other people) is that you should wear a long slip or a camisole/petticoat combination (so that your bra would not be right visible from the armhole and that it would not be completely see-through)

.. this is coming from a Japanese woman in her mid 40s :)
by AK rate this post as useful

common summer wear for all people 2011/1/11 12:13
Maruxa,

AK is right. And I don't know where people get these ideas that yukata is for young women. It's a common traditional summer wear for all people, young and old, men and women. It's just that in the recent years, teenage girls have made a fad out of arranging yukata modern style and a lot of them would wear them for weekend dates while others only bother to wear them on limited occasions.

But I hope you are coming during June and September, as these are basically the season to wear yukata. In the colder season, yukata will be too cold in inappropriate for festival watching. Also, I don't see many black and white yukata. A lot of them are white and navy blue. Discuss with the shopkeeper on designs that may suit you best.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2011/1/12 11:32
Thank you to AK and Uco! Your answers will help me enjoy matsury and not feeling ridiculous.
I am planning on buying the yukatas on the net so i don't loose time searching for them while on our stay. I already saw some toned down black and white ones for me and colorful ones for my daughter but after reading your replies maybe i will be bolder and try some color.
We are staying in Japan for july and august, so we should be OK.
Sorry for my poor english!
by Maruxa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread