Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What foods should I bring to Japan? 2011/1/19 02:48
I'm curious to know what ''treats'' to bring with me. What would be the best western foods to bring that are generally hard to find/or liked by Japanese? I will be visiting numerous relatives of all age groups.
Thanks!!
by mym294  

... 2011/1/19 14:08
On the low-end range, candy lovers might enjoy Reese's Pieces, Butter Finger, Tootsie Roll. They are not very common in Japan.

Flavored coffees are surprisingly not wide spread and very overpriced so small packets of flavors like French Vanilla go over very well. I think the Godiva coffees make great gifts.

I wouldn't bother with Godiva chocolate though as that can be purchased at any department store.

Lastly, something local to your region (cookies or candy made with a locally-produced fruit) can be nice.

In general, Japanese people tend to find western (US) sweets to be too sweet (too much sugar, especially the types of low-end sweets mentioned above) so sugary things may not go over well with the 30 and over crowd.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Corn Nuts 2011/1/19 14:11
I always Cornnuts with me to Japan. When I took them for Japanese friends a while back, they were big hits.
by Psycho Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

western= much too vague 2011/1/19 16:18
That depends a lot on which "western" country you are from. For example, I would bring Marmite, manuka honey and Crunchie bars, but unless you are also from New Zealand you might not be able to find those where you are either.

Can you say which western country you would be doing your shopping in?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

New York 2011/1/19 18:25
His profile lists him residing in NYC.

I had a friend visit from NYC a few months ago and he brought some cookies from some famous bakery (I don't remember the name but they were pretty awesome). Next time he's gonna try to bring me a Carnegie Deli cheesecake.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

NYC foods 2011/1/19 21:05
Thank you so much for your help!!
I never would have considered those type of candies or flavored coffees....I guess because they are so common here in NYC. I will look into cookies/baked goods that will hold up for the trip. Maybe some black and whites, rugelach...even Hostess products.
by mym294 rate this post as useful

Trader Joe's stuff 2011/1/21 05:38
Powerberries by Trader Joe's

I also think the Philippine mango pieces would do well.

Shortbread does well too.
by gest (guest) rate this post as useful

Western? 2011/1/22 13:47
"Western foods"? There are of course a myriad of foods that will make sense depending on exactly where you are from. If you meant the US, please say so. As a Swede, I might bring traditional Swedish hard bread, hard cheese (if I know who I'm giving it too), ginger bread cookies, Swedish chocolate, etc. None of that makes particularly much sense to bring to Japan for an American...
by Niklas (guest) rate this post as useful

Also 2011/1/22 13:48
I could also add I'd bring snus and surströmming! The latter is very much appreciated, if perhaps not for its taste then for the experience.
by Niklas (guest) rate this post as useful

Brownies 2011/1/26 05:55
If you are from NY, bring Fat Witch bakery brownies. They have gift boxes. Or get snacks from Trader's Joe. Cookies, chips or tea is fine.
by N1G0 (guest) rate this post as useful

nani ga iideshouka? 2011/1/29 05:49
------'m curious to know what ''treats'' to bring with me. What would be the best western foods to bring that are generally hard to find/or liked by Japanese? I will be visiting numerous relatives of all age groups.
Thanks!!--------

Foods? Treats? that's hard to say. Basically you can ask if they are interested in anything from your country.

My relatives love smoked salmon but last time I was not allowed to take.
and the kids love chocolate chip cookies (good ones), nuts, good coffees (Hawaiian) for adults.

Other suggestions: My relatives like walking /running shoes as in Nike or other brand in wide size. (if they smoke) Cigarettes --some grown ups often appreciate that more than the treats, certain cosmetics for ladies, Rogaine for hair etc. They can get most of the stuff there but the fact that it would be gift and something they don't have to go get themselves.
by umiumi (guest) rate this post as useful

@gest 2011/1/30 23:31
It's interesting for you to recommend Philippine Mangoes as I love those too!

@OP, bring your country's delicacies :)
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

smaller portions and wrapped 2011/1/31 16:31
about the western sweets being too sweet for japanese tastes, I have heard that too many times... but then I can never get my head around why all traditional japanese sweets like the ones with mochi and anko etc are all so incredibly sickly sweet? I know the bitterness of the matcha can take the sweet edge off a little but still too sweet for me.
My theory is in the size of the portions, I think in japan all the sweets tend to be much smaller portions individually wrapped etc, so the thought of eating a whole chocolate bar in one sitting many people find a bit too much.
my advice would be to get stuff that comes wrapped in small bite size pieces, most people don't want something that with dry out or go off unless they consume the whole thing quickly. Many people also like to share sweets rather than eat a whole chocolate bar alone for example so the wrapping comes in handy there too.
another idea...I would love cheese too, good cheese is so expensive here.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

not hershey's kisses though 2011/1/31 16:39
oh and although I said small individually wrapped hershey's kisses maybe a bad idea...
in fact avoid anything from hershey's.
Lots of people find there is a taste of vomit to their chocolate, I am not sure why but many people think the same (including me), try googling "hershey's tastes of vomit" and you will see that many people do not appreciate america's most famous chocolate brand the same way as americans seem to.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

hershey's 2011/1/31 18:06
oh and although I said small individually wrapped hershey's kisses maybe a bad idea...
in fact avoid anything from hershey's.

Wow, I've never heard that before. I've brought hershey's kisses before and they seemed generally well liked. Reeses peanut butter cups and twix bars (fun size for both) were also immensely popular omiyage in my experience.

Other suggestions: My relatives like walking /running shoes as in Nike or other brand in wide size. (if they smoke) Cigarettes --some grown ups often appreciate that more than the treats, certain cosmetics for ladies, Rogaine for hair etc.

It's a little unclear, but I'm assuming your relative requested these souvenirs? Otherwise I'd be careful with these items as they are generally too specific and expensive for general omiyage. Rogaine though... seriously? If that wasn't requested then that's pretty bold!

On the other hand, Umiumi brings up a good point. Ask your relatives to see if there's anything they would like. They might have something in mind, which might make your job easier and guarantees they'll be happy with the gift.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread