Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New neighbors - what to say and to whom? 2011/1/22 11:10
Hi

I want to introduce myself Japanese courtesy style to my new neighbors. It's a small apartment block, and I have people above, below and left side of my apartment.

(a) Should I intro self to all three?

(b) I'd be most grateful if someone could give me a few lines in hiragana that would be an acceptable way to introduce myself as the new 'foreigner' (and should I say which country I'm from?) in the block
by Mike (guest)  

E 2011/1/22 13:31
it's customary (although unfortunately many Japanese are forgetting their own customs - see http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1436466519) to bring a small gift to at least to the person below you (since they're the ones you're most likely to irritate with sounds), but I think introducing yourself to the people above you and one the same floor would be recommended too (you might not have to bring a gift). A Japanese couple that moved into my ''tower'' visited and gave gifts to all 10 neighbours sharing the same staircase, at the very least I can say that I appreciated it!

As for what to say, I'd go for something simple like

こんにちは、
おととい(or whenever it was, 先ほど)405しつ(remember to pronounce the zero as ''maru'')にひっこしてきたSmithです。
これからおせわになりますので(if it's the apartment below you you could say これからめいわくをかけるとおもうので)、あいさつしようとおもいまして・・・
(if you brought a present, say this as you hand it over)
つまらないものですが・・・
(ending phrase:)
どうぞよろしくおねがいします
by Marcus (guest) rate this post as useful

m 2011/1/22 13:38
Oops, the link I meant to post was this:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1138534906

If you read Japanese, here's a guide to "hikkoshi no aisatsu mawari" http://allabout.co.jp/gm/gc/71380/

"マンションやアパートの場合は、同じフロアーの方だけでなく、上下階の方へのあいさつもお忘れなく。管理人さんにも一声かけるようにしましょう。"

about present:
"あいさつまわりのときに持っていくものは?
金額にすると500円くらいのものが適当でしょう。タオルや、キッチン用品(洗剤やラップ等)、クッキーなど、ちょっとしたものでOKです。華美なものは控えたほうが無難です。また、控えめなのし紙をつけたり、なまえを書いたカードを添えたりして、自分の姓名がはっきりわかるような形で持っていくといいですね。"
by Marcus (guest) rate this post as useful

m 2011/1/22 13:40
Some additional stuff: apparently it's best to do it on the day you move in or the day before (I didn't! oops), you could say something like

あいさつおくれてすみませんでした

if you want to.

Here's another link with what to say: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1211357957

Best answer chosen was (oops, in my example I said ○○○室 instead of ○○○号室, gooshitsu is correct):
○○○号室に引っ越してきました○○です。
どうぞよろしくお願いします。
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Tx...and 2011/1/22 17:14
Thanks both for your great replies.

Would it be good/polite to satisfy possible curiosity by adding where I'm from to what you suggest above. Like "I'm Mike from USA and I've just moved in... and how to fit that into what you suggest if you think it's advisable?
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2011/1/22 18:00
先日、アメリカから"Room#"に越してきたマイクと垂オます。どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。
(in hiragana and katakana):せんじつ、アメリカから"Room#"にこしてきたマイクともうします。どうぞよろしくおねがいいたします。
Senjitsu, Amerika(AMERICA) kara "Room#" ni koshitekita MIKE to moushimasu. douzo yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.

Usually when Japanese say room#, 0(zero) is called "maru".
ex) Japanese for #203 is "ni maru san 号室-goushitsu"

宜しくお願い致します...This is very polite expression so you might wanna say this with bowing slowly.
by Akira (guest) rate this post as useful

Tx 2011/1/25 05:43
Thanks!

Just one more thing...

If I ring the neighbor's door bell, what would I need to say to briefly explain who I am and why I'm there without delivering the whole speech through the intercom?

Something like (or whatever would be culturally OK):

"Hello, I'm your new neighbor from 433 and I'd just like to introduce myself."
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

after you ring the door bell 2011/1/25 10:39
-hiragana-
すみません。よんさんさん(433)ににゅうきょしたものですが、ひっこしのごあいさつにうかがいました。

-romaji-
sumimasen. yon-san-san ni nyuukyoshita monodesu ga, hikkoshi no goaisatsu ni ukagaimashita.

-hiragana+kanji-
すみません。433に入居した者ですが、引っ越しのご挨拶に参りました。

Oops 2011/1/25 10:44
-hiragana+kanji-
すみません。433に入居した者ですが、引っ越しのご挨拶に伺いました。

(not 参りました but 伺いました)

reply to this thread