Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for Mexican Ingredients 2011/2/10 13:21
I'll be in Japan soon, and I been promising my boyfriend and his family to cook for them Mexican food. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find Mexican ingredients or close to, such as substitutes in Japan? To make a descent Latin dish.
by Keromia081  

detail 2011/2/11 08:59
Can you say what kind of ingredients exactly you are looking for? You might get more answers if you do.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Looking for Mexican Ingredients 2011/2/11 11:27
Ingredients to make at least a proper Mexican dish while my stay. Such as masa, which is corn flour mix. Or green bell pepper, jalapenos, or very hot chiles, or even cilantro. I been wanting to make enchiladas and mole. But the problem is having descent ingredients to make it. Regular flour tortillas are possible to make, but I been wanting to make corn tortillas.
by Keromia081 rate this post as useful

mexican ingredients 2011/2/11 12:20
You best bet to find most of these items are international food stores (Kaldi Coffee shop at Aeon Malls for example), or online (http://www.fbcusa.com, http://www.themeatguy.jp). They often carry different types of corn flour and canned foods like jalapenos.

Regular grocery stores will carry green bell peppers, but Japanese ones are smaller and with thinner meat then you're probably used too. You can often find yellow and red bell peppers more like ones found in North America, but they can get expensive. Corn flour and cilantro may also be available but its pretty hit or miss.

However, I've never seen fresh jalapenos sold anywhere in Japan. Anything else that you're looking for?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Looking for Mexican Ingredients 2011/2/12 08:14
Thank you so much for your help!! As of right now I can't think of anything else. But I defiantly look forward to cooking while in Japan a good Mexican dish for my family.
by Keromia081 rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/13 07:24
There are several "foreign" grocery stores throughout Japan, especially in the bigger cities. Some are attached to liqueur stores and I've seen a few at the larger train stations. But quite a bit should be available at normal super markets. :D
by Chiisa na Koi no Uta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread