Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kimono Wearing in Kyoto in March 2011/2/17 16:29
Hi,

I will be at Kyoto in march 2011.
I will be renting a kimono to wear through my visitation to the temples such as Kinkakuji etcc
From 12-6pm
Is this alright? Or it is not a good idea?

Also, will it be funny if I take the city bus wearing my kimono?

Thank you
by Pear (guest)  

kimono 2011/2/17 17:49
I usually see Japanese women in kimono at the various sites (and even on the bus) whenever I'm in Kyoto during cherry blossom season, so I don't think it would necessarily be out of place. It may not be the most comfortable way to travel though, especially if you are not accustomed to wearing a kimono and zori. Also, in the past some Kyoto city sights gave free entry to people dressed in Kimono. I think that was usually around late March.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/18 11:18
If you wear kimono, please practice proper walking in zori, if you haven't done so.
It will be embarrassing & mortifying for Japanese, if they see somebody walking toes out. I am sure you don't.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Kimono 2011/2/18 12:21
If depends if you are Asian or Caucasian..The later would look a bit out of place...and who will help you dress up properly in a kimono? it is not that easy if you don't have the experience.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

kyoto 2011/2/18 12:30
Kyoto is rather special in that kimono rental shops for tourists are fairly common (whose customers probably make up the majority of the "maiko" you encounter running around Higashiyama). The shops handle all the dressing details. And while its less common to see westerners dressed up in kimono, I don't find it that out of place, rather it could be a very special way of exploring the city.

kyoto kimono 2011/2/19 20:59
If you have arranged a rental I assume it includes putting you in it? Anyway don't worry, tons of places in Kyoto put guests in kimono, yukata, and even full geisha dress. When I visited Kyoto a few summers ago, I paid the ryokan I stayed at to get dressed up in yukata, and spent the whole night out in it (got to keep it too). No one ever made me feel out of place and it wasn't even a festival day. It was a lot of fun, just do it and have a great time! BTW it is not too uncomfortable, just expect to move a lot slower than you are used to walking in tennis shoes from place to place... :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Thnaks 2011/2/24 00:04
THanks all for your answer.

Yes I will be going to a kimono rental shop. They will teach me and help me to put on the kimono.
As I will be in kyoto the first week of march, i believe it is still relatively cold. Will the kimono be able to keep me warm?

Do men walk around in their kimono too? is it a common sight?

I am actually thinking of just putting on the kimono for photo-taking. Are there any recommendations? affordable ones ?

Thank you!
by Pear (guest) rate this post as useful

kimono 2011/2/25 11:27
Will the kimono be able to keep me warm?

Its quite a few layers and I imagine its rather warm, but there are also shawls and special overcoats meant to be worn over kimono in colder weather.

Do men walk around in their kimono too? is it a common sight?

I think its rather uncommon to see men in hakama. I've only seen one man sightseeing in hakama (at Tofukuji during this year's koyo), not counting those dressed up for wedding portraits/processions.

I am actually thinking of just putting on the kimono for photo-taking. Are there any recommendations? affordable ones ?

There's quite a variety of places found all around Kyoto. I don't have any to recommend, but the tourist info office should be able to point you to what you're looking for.

Enjoy it!!!!!! 2011/2/28 01:42
Oh you will have so much fun wearing a kimono and going around. I dont think u wont feel uncomfortable at all. Plus it's sakura season so people are used to it.
When i went to Japan last June,i put on a kimono at arashiyama and walked around doing my sightseeing.People seemed to find it very 'nice' of me?and kept complimenting.So apparently they seem to like it that you try to get into their customs and all.
It will keep u warm too.It has 3-4 layers plus the tight obi.You should just practice the zori a bit but u will get used to them once u put them on.

Have fuuuuuuuun!!!!(^_^)
by Dafy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread