Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Funeral Ceremony 2011/2/21 21:04
Hi everyone..
I want to know in detail about the traditional funeral ceremony. I want to know about the ceremony. What is the procedure; dress should be worn on, behavior, tradition.
Furthermore, I like to know about one year completion ceremony.
Please educate me over this topic.
by Crazy noodles  

click here 2011/2/22 08:25
by lmgtfy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/23 14:12
Those websites do not tell the whole story, maybe depending on the region or Buddhism sect.
The highlight of the wake performed by close relatives is missing.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Already Searched 2011/2/24 20:46
@lmgtf

I have raised my query only after checking the various site. But the network information is not always detail one and actual. (as rightly said by amazinga )and there hardly any information about the "after 1 year ceremony".

Moreover, the style, rituals, practices are keep on changing from period to period.

I want to know the current practices and after 1 year ceremony.

I appreciate if anyone can share the information more on "after 1 year ceremony"

by Crazy noodles rate this post as useful

It varies. 2011/3/2 22:55
Funeral procedures vary considerably according to religions and areas. They differ even among each Buddhist sect. I am Japanese and have hosted funerals for my parents, and each time I hired a funeral ceremony agent. They set up everything for the funeral ceremony and instructed attendants, including us, for proper procedures. If you cannot understand Japanese language, just follow fellow Japanese attendants, since they are also just following the instruction.
As for clothing, black suits are preferable but dark suits are OK. If you are a man, wear a black tie, which you can buy cheap at a convenience store or Kiosk. Wearing jewelries or golds should be avoided.
O-Koden, gratuitous money at funeral, is a difficult thing even for Japanese. Unless explicitly refused by the host beforehand, attendants are supposed to contribute some O-Koden. You must ask your acquaintances how much will be reasonable. If you cannot get information, 5000 - 10000 yen would be appropriate for most occasions, in my opinion.
First-Year ceremony and such are usually restricted to the relatives or very close friends. If you are so, ask the host who should inform you of the ceremony. Otherwise, you are not supposed to attend it.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread