Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are hats socially acceptable in Japan? 2011/3/1 08:44
I'm from Texas, and I like to wear coyboy hats whenever possible. It's just a cultural thing. I am moving to Japan soon, is it possible to socially wear this hat without NEGATIVE response?
by James (guest)  

wear it1 2011/3/1 11:22
seriously?

this is japan, where anything goes regarding fashion. you will be fine. in fact, it may even be a good conversation starter.

I have seen a Japanese guy sporting a "ten gallon" hat and full get-up.
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

nice hat 2011/3/1 12:17
James,

Hats are the trend. No problem unless you're blocking the view at a movie theater.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/1 13:44
Hats and caps are quite normal however a COWBOY hat is not something you generally see on a daily basis. There's nothing wrong with wearing it of course.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/1 13:59
Baseball caps in the US are seen as casual, but baseball caps in Japan can sometimes be part of uniforms. For example at gasoline stands, the serviced ones (where hired employees get your gas for you and clean your car while you wait) will usually have to be wearing a baseball cap as part of their uniform.
by DemonicDerek rate this post as useful

yeah you will be fine 2011/3/1 18:07
I think you will be fine.

Many Japanese might not have seen someone wearing cowboy hats other than John Wayne and Heath Ledger. So you might get a few stares. Is it very large? You might have to remove it on the train if it takes up a lot of the surrounding space.

As far as social acceptability goes,
I would actually say Japanese are more inclined to don a cap than some other places in the world. Not so much cowboy hats but definitely the J b-boys love their caps and lots young people (boys and girls) wear those trilby style hats especially big last summer.

There are some great hat shops too.
I once got carried away trying on hats and spent a fortune on a hat that I have never worn out the house. As Russell Brand said its "one of those hats that wears you, rather than you wearing it". You really have to be in control to wear a strong hat, I guess a bit like riding a horse if you aren't firm and confident the horse takes over and you look like a fool.

Maybe thats why cowboys can get away with big hats because they are so used to riding horses. Are you an actual cowboy?

by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Hats 2011/3/1 21:40
Lol

No, I'm not a real cowboy. I'm guessing you don't know that much about Texas, BUT THAT'S OKAY.
Not really many people wear hats. So really, it's a social minority. Indeed they are socially acceptable, but they look good on me. (I'm a pretty big guy.)
There are a few ranches in Texas, but not a large amount. Our largest industry is energy, such as coal and natural gas.
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

sure 2011/3/2 14:52
Next to Korea, Japan is the second highest population wearing hats/caps so you will be fine. I wear my Harris tweed Tribly to the office, or a red Bush hat with feathers rest of the time, and no one minds.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/2 18:59
You wouldn't be the first, I've seen American tourists wearing cowboy hats on the Yamanote line in the past.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

With sunglasses? 2011/3/3 02:00
Hats are fine, but it might be strange if you pair it with sunglasses.
by Alex Shih rate this post as useful

@Alex Shih 2011/3/3 09:32
elaborate on this please?
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread