Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

yakitori and lettuce 2011/3/5 20:40
Is yakitori from chicken or sparrow? When I say yakitori is from chicken (to my son), my husband corrects me and says it is probably sparrow. If from sparrow, that will be interesting to know we are eating sparrow!

Also, is romaine lettuce to be found in Japan? I can easily find red or green leaf lettuce, but never see romaine lettuce in the supermarkets.

Thanks!
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

... 2011/3/6 08:46
Of course, yakitori is referring to chicken 99.9% of the time. Sparrow is not usually eaten in Japan. With exceptions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ƒƒƒCƒ“ƒŒƒ^ƒX 2011/3/6 23:25
MomotaroPeachBoy,

Romaine lettuce is found in Japan. If you never see them in supermarkets, try department stores. They're pronounced the same (or at least similar).
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

yakitori 2011/3/7 11:45
Is yakitori from chicken or sparrow? When I say yakitori is from chicken (to my son), my husband corrects me and says it is probably sparrow.

Unless it is specifically listed as sparrow (suzume) then it is most likely chicken. In addition, suzume yakitori is rather distinctive as its typically served whole since the bird isn't large enough to grill the different cuts of meat separately. So you would probably know if you are eating sparrow. It looks like this:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=&q=%E3%81%99%E3%81%9A%E3%82%81%E3%80%8...

Also, is romaine lettuce to be found in Japan?

Yes, but I usually see it sold in plastic packs with the individual leaves laid flat, rather than in heads like other types of lettuce. Also, it tends to be relatively expensive compared to the more typically available lettuces.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

sheeza sarada 2011/3/7 12:56
romaine lettuce is of course the lettuce of choice for ceasar salad, since this salad is so very popular in japan I guess rommaine lettuce is too. (although beware waiters and waitresses may understand you better if you say it more like "sheeza sarada")
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

romaine 2011/3/7 13:02
romaine lettuce is of course the lettuce of choice for ceasar salad, since this salad is so very popular in japan I guess rommaine lettuce is too.

You would think that, but a typical Japanese Caesar salad only remotely resembles the original version. Often its built on regular lettuce and comes topped with corn! Some restaurants serve real romaine lettuce Caesar salads though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 02:55
Almost all yakitori comes frozen from Southeast Asia and China all skewed and prepared ready for grilling.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/8 10:15
Almost all yakitori comes frozen from Southeast Asia and China all skewed and prepared ready for grilling.

"Almost all"? That's too exaggerated.

There are many yakitori places where they prepare chicken themselves (not frozen, not imported), even a big chain such as ’¹‹M‘° (Torikizoku). Even more so with smaller places.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread