Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wisteria Symbolism? 2011/3/16 03:30
When I was in Japan last May I saw many people hanging/selling (what I think is) fake wisteria flowers. Like this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/japan698.jpg/

I am wondering what is the symbolism behind hanging these flowers? For instance, I saw a vendor with a stand selling only these flowers at Sanja Matsuri in Asakusa. Was this related to the festival specifically or is there a broader symbolism for them in general?

Thanks!

~Elana
by GameAngel64  

Wisteria 2011/3/16 20:54
I don't know what Wisteria flowers means, but it is representitive flower of early summer.

A powerful aristocrats, Fujiwara, during Heian period, used this flower for their family crest.

Wisteria repsesent longivity and fertility.
by flower27 rate this post as useful

Cause it's pretty? 2011/3/16 23:28
Elana,

I think very few Japanese people stop to think what Japanese Wisteria symbolises.

It's just a pretty flower that only blooms in May. People enjoy plum blossoms in February, cherry blossoms in April, Wisterias in May. And Wisteria flowers hang, even if they're wild ones. You can't make those flowers grow upward. Wouldn't you like to enjoy Sunflowers in August? I would.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Flower of the Season 2011/3/17 00:37
Thanks for the reply; so it is just the flower of the season. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of religious significance since they were being sold en masse at the Sanja Matsuri festival. I did get to see some wild wisteria in bloom, very pretty. :)

~Elana
by GameAngel64 rate this post as useful

like a flea market 2011/3/17 02:56
In fact, very few of the things sold at festivals at temples and shrines are related to religion.

People just go there for fun, pay a quick worship for luck, and enjoy shopping as you would at a flea market.

Festivals are more about tradition than religion (which to me is often very similar, because both get to your soul) and Wisteria has been adored througout the tradition.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread