Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple Dress Codes 2011/6/24 08:54
Is there a certain code of dress for visiting temples? I don't want to offend anybody simply by how I dress.

Thanks.
by NekoRowan  

. 2011/6/24 10:40
No, there is not a dress code. Although temples are religious places, most people treat them as tourist sites, so it's completely normal to see people wearing jeans, shorts, etc.

If you are going to a special ceremony that seems formal then you may want to dress up but for normal temple visits it's not necessary.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Refrain going there in bikinis 2011/6/25 01:46
There is no dress code for Japanese temples for visitors. I wouldn't go to a temple in bikini, though.
Buddha wouldn't have refused any companion taking interest in the path to Truth, even those in bikini.
In Jodo sect, there's even a Doctrine of Evil Persons as the Object of Salvation (Akunin Shoki Setsu). An ignorant Japanese or Gaijin who just came in jaw-dropping clothes but who had no bad intentions shouldn't be refused.
by No dress code (guest) rate this post as useful

no problem 2011/6/25 02:30
I do admit it wasn't a bikini, but I've worshiped at a temple in my bathing suit with no problem. I'm Japanese and I didn't even think it was unnatural. Of course, if you walk the city streets in your bathing suit, that's another story. I went directly from the beach, through the parking lot, to the temple (and then to the toilet and then back through the temple again).
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread