Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoo Courtesy 2011/7/22 03:30
Hey there,
Just looking for someonefs opinion. I have my entire arm covered with a sleeve and was wondering do you think it would jeopardize my trip in any way if I didnft cover it? Ifll be going August 26th – Sept 5th to mostly large cities. Because itfs in the summer, long sleeves would be do-able but not desirable. I donft plan to go to any onsens or water parks. My most important point is I donft want to offend / give a bad impression on any locals. Any recommendations?
Thank you!
by CamStrobel  

no worries 2011/7/22 22:59
If you donft plan to go to any onsens or water parks, than not really an issue. You will get looks of stares from the older & younger crowds because a lot fo them haven't seen a lot of tattoos, but not an issue. When I'm in Japan many people will come up to me and ask me about my tat, or just come closer to check it out. so don't sweat it.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/23 13:09
If your going to a fancy resturant for dinner you might want to consider wearing long sleeves. But other than that I wouldn't worry at all. I only got very few looks with my tribal tat (from upper arm across to shoulder) when I wore singlets, and even less looks when I went to bath houses and onsens. The occassional person on the train would stare but not out of anything other than something to stare at that they haven't maybe seen before, or often.
I got the feeling that peoples opninions and attitudes of them (especially when councerning tourists) was changing. Although I was in Osaka/Kyoto and I heard Osaka'ins were alot more laid back than Tokyo'ites.
I think you'll be pleasently suprised when over there =)
Although, I do remember we went to the zoo in Osaka and I ducked into view some lions through a peep hole and about 4 kids were in there and a little girl turned to me, touched my tattoo and giggled and all the kids looked so suprised! I rubbed it and went 'sugoi!' and the parents behind us had a bit of a giggle too. It was nice =)
by Imperfect rate this post as useful

Tattoo Courtesy 2011/7/23 14:29
Thanks for your input, I'll make sure to bring at least one long sleeve shirt just for certain occasions. Thanks!
by CamStrobel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread