Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I wear sandals in Hokkaido? 2011/7/23 16:22
Going to Hokkaido in August. We will be riding on trains between cities (Sapporo to Furano and then back to Sapporo). Must I wear sneakers? I am afraid they are bulky and ugly. I have very comfortable walking sandals (no back though, with open toes). Will they be ok? I know there will be some walking when visiting flower fields and Biei the hill town...

Also is a light jacket needed or will a cardigan and long sleeve shirt suffice? Thanks!
by PinkPig40 (guest)  

You can wear sandals. 2011/7/23 23:34
You can wear sandals.
But, it is a cool in Hokkaido's night.
Have a nice trip.
by Ryuji in TOKYO rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/27 10:38
So long as you don't wear socks with your sandels I would suspect that you should be fine.

Unlike many Western Countries wearing socks with sandels is considered insulting.
by HandyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

socks and sandals 2011/7/27 10:55
Unlike many Western Countries wearing socks with sandels is considered insulting.

Not sure where you got that from. Depending on the sandal style, wearing socks with your sandals may be odd or dasai (unfashionable), but not insulting.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/27 12:37
To the opposite: some traditional people consider it impolite to enter homes barefoot. So, I recommend to wear socks with your sandals in case you have to take off your shoes and enter a home, restaurant or temple.
by Uji rate this post as useful

sandals 2011/7/28 03:55
In many Western Countries wearing socks with sandals is not insulting but is made fun off...it looks quite nerdy to many people..especially if the wearer is a younger person and wear dressy black socks with sandals ...

Uji is right, of course...
you can always go barefoot in the sandals and carry socks--the kind one wear with sneakers, they only cover the foot, not the lower leg---but then you have to slip then on at the last minute.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

back from trip 2011/8/3 14:59
just got back from a 5day trip in Hokkaido and all throughout the trip, I was wearing my sandals (Sanuk style if you know the brand).

wearing jacket depends on where you are but I remember using my jacket only in Otaru during night time. Other places are just so hot.

enjoy your trip!
by lastmockingbird (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm a sandal guy... 2011/8/3 18:51
though I wouldnt commit the fashion offence of wearing socks with them, I'd rather pop the socks in my pocket and produce them if I had to. My Naot sandals have pretty much been the only thing I wear in Japan unless it is snowing, I can walk all day in them and my feet feel great (though I get a sandal tan in summer).
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread