Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

If I can't wear shoes inside then what? 2011/8/26 05:27
I am planning a 2-3 week trip to Japan this fall but because I have bad knees I must wear shoes with orthotics while walking and standing, barefoot for me is unfortunately out of the question. As much as I appreciate and respect the Japapnese custom of not wearing shoes inside,I worry that this expectation might be too much for me to accomodate. My basics questions are these: do the majority of hostels in Japan require the removal of shoes indoors, are slippers allowed indoors in most places that don't allow shoes, would there be any problem if a visitor simply brought their own custom slippers (with orthotics) for use indoors instead of using the one's provided? This is the only solution that I can think of and still I fear I won't be able to visit certain temples and sites. Thanks in advance for any answers and information you can provide regarding these questions.
by JodeyK  

... 2011/8/26 08:35
Virtually all hotels and most hostels do not require you to take off shoes.

Slippers are provided (and expected to be worn) in many of the buildings where you have to take off shoes. If you bring your own slippers that would pose no problem, except maybe if the slippers have a very hard sole, in which case they could be prohibited in historical buildings with a fragile floor. Furthermore, no shoes and no slippers are allowed in tatami rooms. If even a few steps without shoes are out of question for you, you will have to avoid tatami rooms.

I fear I won't be able to visit certain temples and sites.

I am afraid that is a justified fear. You might want to learn a Japanese phrase or bring a print out in Japanese explaining your situation and use it at problematic sights.
by Uji rate this post as useful

common 2011/8/26 12:35
JodeyK,

Similar questions have been asked before, but the Japanese have knee problems too! Don't think that people are prohibited to go give prayers once they're wheelchaired!

You can discuss with the person at the door to see how you can manage to go inside. Typically, you can put a clean cover over your footwear, or the facility might have its own indoor wheelchair.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Covers 2011/8/27 05:25
Building upon Uco's answer above, it should be possible to pack a dozen or so pair of the kind of shoe covers that are worn in some hospitals to visit sterile areas or areas that are segregated due to infection fears (for some lung diseases, for example). Since these are intended for hospitals, they may be expensive. As for explaining the situation at each entrance, it might be useful to have somebody write your explanation ahead of time and take several copies. Good luck and I hope you get to see what you want to.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: If I can't wear shoes inside then what? 2011/9/26 00:44
Just buy one or two pairs of shoes that you will never wear outside. Thats it :)
by Do you like sushi rate this post as useful

?? 2011/9/28 17:07
Just buy one or two pairs of shoes that you will never wear outside. Thats it :)

Not so sure this is realistic: staff will not necessarily understand whether they have been worn outside or not.

Whilst orthotics may be necessary for full-on days of walking, for maybe a few steps into a tatami mat restaurant etc it may not be a problem. However, the walk through some temples is quite long, so pre-preparation is a good idea.

Covers for shoes are readily accessible from medical supply companies, and not too expensive.

by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: If I can't wear shoes inside then what? 2011/9/29 16:04
Well it seems to work well for me and the other Japanese that I have worked with.
by Do you like sushi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread