Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Solicitors on the streets 2011/9/6 12:47
Hi, I hope this doesn't come off as ridiculous but I'm generally a pretty shy, non-confrontational person which is why I'm asking this. I'm quite aware that Tokyo is a very safe place relative to other big cities around the world as I've already experience this myself. However, when I first walked out of the Ueno station after arriving from Narita for my first trip, I was approached by a guy as he was talking to me in Japanese which I'm not fluent in. In that situation, I nervously was like "Sumimasen, Gomenasai" and then walked away. I had the impression he was saying "What was going on?" after I quickly left, lol. Later, I found out that he was trying to get me into his swimsuit bar. My question is: is it typical for people to flat-out walk by and ignore people like him? Or, did what I do during my own encounter was fine or a bit too much where there was just unnecessary communication with the guy that I ended up annoying him? I've heard how some of these people can be a bit aggressive by either keep trying to talk to you or even grabbing your arm. I've walked and ignored the people who simply pass out flyers just fine as I figured they were used to this.

by rsxguy04 (guest)  

. 2011/9/6 17:11
rsxguy04,

Either ignore, or wave your hand left and right in a "no" gesture and keep walking.

Sometimes they try to come after you if you don't give them an answer, so maybe the waving is better than to not do anything. But make it simple.

If that doesn't work, pretend you're going to the "police." This usually works in any country.

In other words, you did right.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/9/8 10:01
Thanks for your help Uco!
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

title 2011/9/12 04:00
Was he one of those African touts or Japanese?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi 2011/9/14 17:03
He was actually Japanese.
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

Just doing his job... 2011/9/25 14:30
...pushy guy trying to get you into the bar/club/etc. was only doing his job. Filling the joint with paying customers.

Perfectly normal, esp. the pushy, overbearing types.

Simply do what any uninterested Japanese would do. Put up a hand to hold them off as needed, briskly walk by, and keep walking.

Otherwise, if you're curious, be prepared to spend $$$$$$$ =P ha ha!
by =) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solicitors on the streets 2011/9/29 16:08
Speak to them in English... FAST! lol
by Do you like sushi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread