Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/9/25 15:07
When a Japanese girl ignores any of your attempts to contact her, is it safe to assume she is no longer interested in you?

I know the obvious answer is yes, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing some kind of cultural difference.

I was on a kind of date with a girl a few months ago, which honestly didn't go so well, but I tried to have fun with her. We even hugged at the end of it. I've since tried to text or email her, but she won't respond at all. We're also on each other's Skype friend's list; she ignores my IMs, but she hasn't deleted me yet.

I'm moving on, but I guess I'd just like to know why she just didn't delete me or tell me she's not interested.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/9/25 23:52
Yeah move on. Its not usual for a Japanese girl to say "Don't call / text me" unless you are going wayyyy overboard.
They will just blank you and hope that you get the point.

Nothing cultural apart from that (Saving face).
by Do you like sushi rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/9/26 00:59
Hey, I can REALLY relate to your post and I am sorry to hear you're experiencing this. I have been wondering the same thing for a month now only with an important difference: my situation is platonic rather than romantic and secondly the two girls in question email or text me saying they want to hang out but when I respond I get no answer for three weeks so I wonder if it was in the way I responded, even though it was the fairly standard one. I posted about this under the heading 'need advice on texting rules' and got a lot of useful replies the common thread of which seems to be J-girls don't like saying 'no' so they don't say anything at all. Regardless, every person deserves some kind of confirmation as to where they stand. Good luck.
by theodosy75 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/9/27 00:03
The girls in Japan just blank you lol.
There is no closure, trust me on that.

However if you are writing in English they may take some time to respond as they are shy or have difficulty responding with the "correct" or "appropriate" English.
By this I mean hours... If its days... sayonara lol.
by Do you like sushi rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/9/27 11:09
japanese guys do the same thing too! i am an american girl, and j-guys have a tendecy to flat out ignore me. don't know if it's because i have an "agressive" american personality (throw some latin in there), or what, but in my opinion, when it comes to dating, japanese really do prefer each other, even if it is platonic. it's like a kinship thing i think. anyways, hope that helps some!
by Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

forgot to add... 2011/9/27 11:13
since i am female, i have ran across some notorious japanese playboys. so i don't know what i am doing wrong, because one day i could have a serious realtionship with a j-guy if i could figure them out. i am also trynna figure out my j-girl friends. it's so important to me because i'm staying in japan next summer.
by Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/10/3 10:24
if they do it it means they don't like you

i used to get worked up about it, now i just erase and block anyone who does it to me even once

they don't deserve your time
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/10/31 11:33
I have a friend who exchanged e-mails and letters with a girl from Ishinomaki for the past 4 years. At first they were communicating about once a month or so, but then the frequency of correspondence began to decrease and eventually dwindled to once in a blue moon. The female friend was living in Monou in March 2011 when the Great East Japan Earthquake & Tsunami occurred. She lost an aunt and as a result her cousin, the aunt's daughter, moved into her house. From there correspondence was practically nonexistent. In desperation my friend tried something rather unorthodox. He sent a picture of a woman (fully clothed, mind you) to her in an attempt to reopen the exchange. Since then she e-mailed only once and not much else. In the end my friend decided it was better to just let things take their course and have her communicate whenever time permits. Needless to say my friend is disenchanted with her.

I believe that with all that has transpired in the female friend's part of Japan she will be too busy to send anything at all. Is she in a sexual relationship with some other guy in a bid to escape her misery? Or is she working long hours at a job? Or is she just too depressed to write to anyone? There appears to be much to speculate on, since the female friend has not sent e-mail nor snail mail lately.
by Ippatu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/11/3 15:51
Happened to me before too. Just move on and don't worry about it. :/
by Hayabusaremix109 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/11/4 12:41
It's not just a "girl" thing or even a "dating" thing. It happens when you are trying to make friends, too. (boy and girl, girl and boy, girl and girl, boy and boy). It is a nonconfrontational way to cut off contact with someone. It happens in the US and other countries, too. It's really not so unique to Japan, except maybe Americans will humor you for a while before completely stopping.

If the date didn't go well anyway, though, it shouldn't feel so bad to not meet again.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese girls ignoring you 2011/11/7 05:56
I agree with Rabbityama.. I live in North America and don't answer e-mails as soon as I get them, and my friends don't either.
Sometimes--quite often--we send one another something that likely will interest the other person...no reply needed.

But then we are from an older generation that managed to survive without giving many phone calls/ e-mails/ texts a day to each of many "friends"!

One of my friend has had the same foreign pen pal since they were teens! Now they only write one another once a year or so...

I spend my working hours answering a land phone, e-mails, a pager etc. and talking to at least 50 people as I do my rounds around the business....so when I am home I crave silence.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread