Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will Sony Nex-7 be cheaper to buy in Tokyo? 2011/9/30 00:43
This awesome camera is set to launch in November which is the same time I will be in Tokyo. But after doing some research I think the price would be much more than the US price.

I understand that I can get export sets with English menus from Sony Export shops.

Strange why cameras in Japan cost much more than other places in the World.
by idoblu  

Re: Will Sony Nex-7 be cheaper to buy in Tokyo? 2011/10/1 20:38
Last month I bought a HD Sony video camera at Sydney airport (duty free) fot about AUD$400 but in Tokyo ithe same camera was about AUD$700!

by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Will Sony Nex-7 be cheaper to buy in Tokyo? 2011/10/2 12:20
Cameras are always more expensive in Japan than in the U.S. No idea why.
by John Becker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will Sony Nex-7 be cheaper to buy in Tokyo? 2011/10/6 08:38
I was told by a Japanese person yesterday that 2 models of the same camera are often made. The superior (and more expensive) model is Made In Japan and sold only within the Japanese market, the other cheaper model is made in China for the worldwide market.

The cameras look virtually identical until you turn it over and see where it`a made!
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Will Sony Nex-7 be cheaper to buy in Tokyo? 2011/10/6 10:26
Strange why cameras in Japan cost much more than other places in the World.

They do and they don't. It depends on what markets you're comparing, which models, etc. Japan can be very much in line, or better that US prices in my experience. For example, a Nikon d7000 body is about $200 cheaper in Japan right now. You just have to know where to shop. On the other hand I hear European and Australian prices are quite expensive in comparison. Again, using the d7000, you can save about 170 pounds buying it in Japan than in the UK.

But I think the biggest factor right now though is the exchange rate. 5 years ago the cameras were respectively cheaper in Japan than they are today. When I shop cameras these days I'm finding better and better deals in the US primarily due to the exchange.

Try looking up prices on http://www.kakaku.com That will give you a better idea of the discount prices, rather than the full retail that the chain stores are charging.

Cameras are always more expensive in Japan than in the U.S. No idea why.

If you are comparing international models sold in Japan (i.e. models with english menus) with their US counterparts, then yes, the US model will almost always be cheaper. Its the same for almost all goods aimed at tourists though. Try buying a soda at Disneyland for example.

I was told by a Japanese person yesterday that 2 models of the same camera are often made. The superior (and more expensive) model is Made In Japan and sold only within the Japanese market, the other cheaper model is made in China for the worldwide market.

The cameras look virtually identical until you turn it over and see where it`a made!

In most cases, the difference is that Japanese domestic models only have Japanese language menus while the worldwide models have many languages. Sony and Panasonic are notorious for this practice.

Actually, with a good exchange rate this often works to keep the prices of sony and panasonic domestic prices down compared to the rest of the world. But the international models tend to command a significantly higher price.

Either way, it is unlikely that the NEX-7 will be cheaper in Japan, especially due to the horrendous exchange rates and the history of the NEX-3 and 5 pricing. You wouldn't want the Japanese NEX-7 anyway though, as it will only have Japanese language menus.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread