Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/17 04:40
I will be in Kyoto and Tokyo next month and would like to know of any stores selling scale diecast model cars. Can you help me with names,addresses and directions? Thanks.
by ANTHUTS (guest)  

Re: 1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/17 16:07
Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba has a car museum nearby in Venus Fort shopping centre. The gift shop there has heaps of car merchandise and models.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: 1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/17 16:11
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: 1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/17 23:50
There are a lot of shops selling 1/43rd's in Tokyo Akihabara. Yodobashi Camera Akihabara has a large selection of new models in their hobby department. If you walk around the Akihabara area, there are a number of stores reselling models at good discounts. Also,try this website http://toyotageek.xanga.com/617675222/travel--japan/ Although it dates from 2008, it includes a number a locations to seek out. I also found some interesting 1/43rd's in the Nakano Broadway shopping center. There is also a store at Nakano Broadway selling some really interesting 1/43rd Japanese model cars from the 60's with correspondingly high prices, $ 300 US and up. I can send more details if you have specific questions. I've been collecting mainly 1/64th scale Japanese models as they are easier to fit in my suitcase!
by 56Premiere rate this post as useful

Re: 1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/18 01:18
Thank you Sal1980 and 56Premiere for your informative postings. I haven't been to Japan for about 14 years. I remember that most department stores had a good selection of Tomica and Dandy models and I have a fair collection from the 1970s and 1980s. Looking forward to picking up some new ones this time around! Thanks, anthuts.
by ANTHUTS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1/43 diecast model cars 2011/10/18 02:28
You are very welcome!
If you have friends in Japan who can drive, you might ask if the can take you to "Hard Off" stores or their equivalents. These are general merchandise resale shops that often have 1/43rd's at very good discounts.
Tomica does not make many 1/43rd's these days. I miss their Dandy line, such great quality and accuracy. I think the primary 1/43rd companies making Japanese models are Ebbro (I think it is affiliated with Tomica), AutoArt,and Norev. Of course, now all of these brands, including Tomica are produced in China or other parts of Asia. Very good accuracy in the details.
One special new thing you will find are "magazine cars" These are boxes that are the size of a large book that have a small magazine in them featuring a famous Japanese car. In the box is a 1/43rd model of the car. I got mine at Mega Web. I think they cost about $20 US 2 years ago. They come out every other month or so and seem to sell out quickly. I looked elsewhere in Tokyo but could not find other stores selling them. Mega had a few older issues for sale when I visited. I think they are produced by Hachette. (They make similar "magazines" for other countries also, but they are only sold in the country featured.) Have a great trip... but bring plenty of $$$$! LOL!
by 56Premiere rate this post as useful

reply to this thread