Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/7 07:08
Hi guys,

Just wondering - I live in Australia where we have 240V wall sockets. As I understand, Japan has 100 volts at the sockets. I know that it shouldnt matter if you are recharging something small like a mobile phone, but what about a laptop?

Has anyone been able/not able to charge their laptop from 100V sockets?

Thanks!
by Adam (guest)  

Re: Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/7 08:25
Laptops have adapters built into their power cable. Doesn't your laptop cable come with a black box? If you look closely, something like "100-240V" should be written somewhere on the black box, meaning that your laptop can be used within that entire range of voltages.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/7 14:46
Just wondering - I live in Australia where we have 240V wall sockets. As I understand, Japan has 100 volts at the sockets. I know that it shouldnt matter if you are recharging something small like a mobile phone, but what about a laptop?

FYI, it WILL matter regardless of the size of the device you are trying to charge. If the charger isn't rated for 100-240v then your device simply won't charge. Of course that's better than the opposite (using a 100v device on a 240v outlet) in which case there is a real danger of starting a fire.

In either case, check the charging cord for your device. If it is universal voltage (100-240v) then you will only need a cheap plug adapter to use it in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/7 21:43
Australia
: Std. voltage = 240 V, frequency = 50 Hz, socket = Type O (with on-off switch).
Japan
: Std. voltage = 100 V, frequency = 50 or 60 Hz, socket = Type A (without switch).

In the middle of the power cable there is a box containing an AC adapter (which converts AC to DC) with a label telling you acceptable voltage and frequency, like "INPUT: AC __ V, __ Hz; OUTPUT: DC __ V, __ A."

If the input voltage is in a range of 100 to 240 V and the input frequency includes 50 Hz, that means the box also contains a transformer which works in Japan; you only need a plug adapter to connect a Type-O plug with a Type-A socket.
Otherwise, you also need an appropriate transformer designed for input in 50 Hz or in either 50 or 60 Hz.

It's OK to use a 50 Hz transformer in 60 Hz areas (such as Osaka City), but NOT vice versa: a 60 Hz transformer may cause troubles if used in 50 Hz areas (such as Tokyo). So, I think it's better to get one in Japan, a country with two standard frequencies.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/8 07:37
I am from Singapore and was facing the same problem when I was in Japan in Sep. Tried to buy a converter to up the voltage to 240v but with the language problem it is near impossible. I use the 110v on my laptop and mobile charger and found that they work although very slowly....
Heard some hotels have 2 outlets one for 110v and one for 240v- wonder that's true.. Can't find it in the hotels I stayed.
by hosg15 rate this post as useful

Re: Using 240v laptop charger with 100v outlets 2011/11/8 11:09
Universal voltage adapters are designed to work with both 50 and 60 hertz so its not something you need to pay special attention to. But if you want to make sure, the charging cord should say something like "Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz".

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread