Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Who are the''hairy'' people ? 2004/9/2 00:21
Are they somehow related to the pearl divers? Where in Japan are they?
by Deidre N.  

Hairy people? 2004/9/2 08:56
Where do they live? Well, this one lives in Saitama...

But seriously, and before I get accused of being sarcastic again, could you be referring to the Ainu in Hokkaido, who are supposed to be hairier than other Japanese people?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Okinawa too? 2004/9/3 00:22
Supposedly Okinawans are also more "kebukai" than other Japanese. Even watched a tv special on it with the title something like "Hairy People in Japan"...
by kyarinchan rate this post as useful

In any case.... 2004/9/3 00:29
I doubt that hairy people are especially related to pearls. Also I am very curious about how this "hairy people in Japan" question comes with "pearls" :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Hairy 2005/3/17 09:03
I'm half Japanse and hairy. (Boo hoo). I think it depends on the person. Not very many Japanse people are hairy, but you get the odd one...like my dad is.
by Shinonome no Suki rate this post as useful

thanks 2005/3/17 23:25
Thanks, I was looking for the name Ainu. Just a silly topic that came up among my Judo friends over drinks.
by Deidre N. rate this post as useful

Original Islanders 2008/1/18 01:06
Original Japanese people came from the south east asia during the ice age which are now referred to as Ainu. They were short, stocky, and hairy. Approximately starting 300BC, there were large population of Koreans migrating to Japan. Since the Koreans were farmers unlike the Ainu who were hunters, Korean population grew very fast and eventually mixed with local Ainu population. Modern Japanese today are basically Koreans with some mixture of original islanders from the south east asia. The hairy genes comes from the original islanders (Ainu).
by Kevin rate this post as useful

Ainu/Utari 2008/1/18 05:59
Nowadays, some of them prefer the word Utari ウタリ(meaning "comrade" in Ainu) instead of Ainu.
by arctica rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/18 18:35
I roughly agree with Kevin’s opinion. Generally we Japanese have more hairy body than Korean people. But I would like to add some comments.
People of Okinawa and Amami-islands are more hairy than me (mainland Japanese). All of my friends who are hairy came from Okinawa (or descent of Okinawan). Some anthropologist said Okinawan and Ainu have similar genes.

(I would apologize if my comments have something like racism. I never have intention of racism)
by honshu rate this post as useful

the ainu 2008/1/18 23:02
thanks everyone!
by Deidre N. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread