Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Softbank i4 unlock abroad, relock in Japan? 2011/12/7 13:38
i'm planning to unlock my i4 using gevey sim abroad for the winter hols. my question is -
1. on return, simply putting the softbank sim back is enough or do i need to do a relock to be able to continue my softbank connection?
2. can it remain jailbroken and still continue to work on softbank?
3. would i lose data/apps by doing a jailbreak/unlock?
I'd really appreciate any insight!
by alohas (guest)  

Re: Softbank i4 unlock abroad, relock in Japan? 2011/12/7 13:52
1. on return, simply putting the softbank sim back is enough or do i need to do a relock to be able to continue my softbank connection?

Just put your softbank sim back in and it should work.

2. can it remain jailbroken and still continue to work on softbank?

Yes

3. would i lose data/apps by doing a jailbreak/unlock?

No

By the way, which version of ios are you running. The gevey sim unlock only works with certain versions numbers and basebands. You may also need to load a custom firmware. Here's some more info:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/unlock-iphone-4-with-gevey-sim-card-i...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Softbank i4 unlock abroad, relock in Japan? 2011/12/7 14:13
thank you for your reply!!

my ios is 4.3.5 and bb is 4.10.1. I'm avoiding updating to ios 5. Is it possible to backup my apps on itunes without the iphone being updated? Also (sorry!) - i was planning to get it done by someone in india (cuz that's where i'll be) but would u recommend me buying the gevey sim from amazon first then giving it to the person to use or buy the one they sell? or it wouldn't make a difference..?
by alohas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Softbank i4 unlock abroad, relock in Japan? 2011/12/7 16:00
Is it possible to backup my apps on itunes without the iphone being updated?

Yes, just click "no" when it asks you if you want to update the OS.

i was planning to get it done by someone in india (cuz that's where i'll be) but would u recommend me buying the gevey sim from amazon first then giving it to the person to use or buy the one they sell? or it wouldn't make a difference..?

Why not just do it yourself? There isn't really much to installing the gevey. At most I think you may need to shave off a bit of the prepaid sim to fit it in the tray. Other than that its a dialing sequence to activate it. Instructions will be included in the package.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Softbank i4 unlock abroad, relock in Japan? 2011/12/8 00:11
Well - cuz won't I have to jailbreak it first? I'm not that confident of doing that on my own. There's so much info I don't know which to do. Downgrade bb and get untethered jailbreak or no downgrade and get tethered - but I don't understand when they say it has to be done all over again if the battery dies. Does that mean as long as I always recharge before it dies, I won't have to do the tethered jailbreak again? And I'm not sure about the jailbreaking procedure either ;( Although if you have a clear idea, I'd try to follow it.
by Alohas (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread