Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/17 20:29
and if not, do they use unfiltered water to make their soba in restaurants etc? and is there anything else i should know related to the nuclear disaster that i might want to keep my eye out for. i'll be in Tokyo for 2 weeks and Osaka for 2 weeks.

Thank you
by Donnie2009  

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/17 21:36
Tap water in Tokyo is not contaminated by the nuclear disaster! You can generally drink tap water unless there is a sign that states that you should not drink it.

and is there anything else i should know related to the nuclear disaster that i might want to keep my eye out for.

I can't think of anything. Tourist life in Tokyo is unaffected by the nuclear disaster.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/18 02:13
Tap water anywhere in Japan is safe but in Tokyo it doesn't taste good. Boil off chlorine in the water heater which is a standard amenity in just about every hotel/ryokan. Restaurants water is filtered & even offer "kangen water" which is slightly alkaline and good tasting.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/18 14:59
I'm slightly curious about why the OP insisted on asking about "making soba" among all the foods that the locals are concerned about. All in all, I agree with the others. Not many soba restaurants make their own, by the way.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/18 15:52
I aske about soba because it's a food that is soaked in water and I'd like to know if the water that is soaked in it is bad to eat/drink. I was just using an example of a food with water in it
by Donnie2009 rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/18 21:11
If water was contaminated by radiation, overtly health conscious Japanese people would be shrieking and Tokyo would be deserted by now.

No, there is absolutely no reason to worry about water in Tokyo. I won't drink the water that's planned to be disposed from the Fukushima's nuclear reactor (filtered and claimed now safe) like the vice-minister Sonoda did in one occasion ...
by Water is safe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/18 21:19
So what you're saying is there is plans to "filter" the radiation out of radiated water supply and put it back somewhere into the Japanese water supply? When, where?

Thanks
by Donnie2009 rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/19 01:15
No, there is a plan to discharge the already filtered water (using the proper equipment) from the nuclear plant stored now in the tanks to the sea (why the hell would they distribute to tap water system?). The local fishermen in Fukushima are against discharging the water no matter how safe it might be now to the sea (as these people are prone to bad rumors). A journalist asked the vice minister to drink the water if it was really safe. The minister did just that, saying that the filtered water is perfectly safe to discharge.

There is really no reason to worry. The Japanese aren't insane or dumb.

by It's safe enough. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/19 01:18

Re: Is the water safe to drink from the sink? 2011/12/19 01:25
I'm sorry, correction. THE MAJORITY of the ''Japanese people aren't insane or dumb''. The Japanese have their own share of wackos.

That said, tap water in Tokyo is safe.

Thanks for your response 2011/12/19 03:06
I aske about soba because it's a food that is soaked in water and I'd like to know if the water that is soaked in it is bad to eat/drink. I was just using an example of a food with water in it

Oh, okay. I was just curious, since tap water is among the things locals worry the least about.

By the way, you're supposed to eat soba before the soup soaks into it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread