Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/8 05:21
Hello all,
I'm a total newbie to Japanese dramas (or anime), but I want to start practising my listening skills... and I want it to be fun! So, I think I could learn a lot from watching Japanese dramas. But, searching around the net has left me a bit overwhelmed with the possibilities... I really don't know where to begin. So:

Can any of you recommend a drama which would meet these requirements:
* I'm a 25+yo woman so I don't want to watch stories aimed for highschoolers
* I'd like the drama to have woman central characters and maybe also more polite japanese (meaning not _only_ casual spoken japanese / slang). No historical shows because of the language...
* Is there a drama that would (partly) take a place at a workplace? Maybe with some sort of love story?
* Which shows have been a big hit among ladies?

I hope this made any sense. I really don't know anything about this... But I don't want to start watching anime etc as my language knowledge is still very limited and I don't want to learn too much informal/casual/slang words by accident. (which seems to be very common to people who have self-studied by watching a lot of anime)

If anyone has a suggestion - Thank you very much!
by susan (guest)  

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/8 10:54
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Haken_no_Hinkaku

This might fit your requirements.....I haven't checked though to see if it's available online or for download - I got a DVD of it from a friend.....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/8 11:28
There are plenty, d-addicts has a recommendations thread. A few that come to mind would include Nihonjin no shironai Nihongo (you'll get some Japanese lessons in that), Yama Onna Kabe Onna (very funny), Untouchable, Misaki No 1. Check them out, get some favorite actors and go from there. Hotaru no Hikari is probably the pick, but try season 1 first.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/8 15:35
Definitely, Hotaru no Hikari!
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/9 07:26
+1 for Hotaru no Hikari ^.^

I also enjoyed Zettai Kareshi, Zenkai Girl, Propose Kyoudai (a 4-part tanpatsu), Untouchable, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, Slow Dance... I can list more when I'm at home. =)

Most shows will have a mix of polite and casual speech, just like in real life. Don't expect to watch something that is solely (or even necessarily predominantly) polite speech.
by seanpdx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/9 09:52
I liked Hotaru no Hikari as well but the one I mentioned took place more at a work place which is why it came to mind....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/9 10:29
It actually looks pretty good. Here's one I forgot which is really brilliant, especially if you like japanese food - Osen http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Osen

The workplace is a restaurant, though, not an office
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/9 11:05
No need to buy. Have you looked in YouTube? Try search by "Japanese drama eng sub"
There are many uploaded, some are good, moving, tear dropping(i.e. one liter of tears) and some are just plain horrible. There are also animes.
You might search for the next episode to be continuous or sequential parts may be all lined up automatically.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/2/9 15:31
It doesn't really match all of your criteria, and it is quite old now, but I'm going to mention Oshin because it is probably one of the most famous J-Dramas outside of Japan.

There are a few of the early episodes in Japanese on youtube now, and the whole 297 episodes are available on DVD too I believe (Japanese only). It was aired with subtitles in many different countries around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshin
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/9 16:16
I just watched a science fiction movie "Sinking of Japan" in YouTube. It is over 2 hrs.
You will appreciate the people of northern Japan went through + the way people live(before the quake) + love story + many of attractions tourists visit from Hokkaido to Kyushu + English subtitle for Japanese learning. Better visit Japan before she sinks, lol.

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/10 01:05
If you enjoy Haken no HInkaku you'll probably enjoy Anego and Suppli, both about career women.
by Nigo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/11 05:13
Everyone, thanks a lot for all the suggestions! Now I know where to begin. :)
by susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/12 05:39
One word of caution. I don't honestly think you can learn the language from watching any drama or movies well unless you have proficiently progressed in speaking & listening capabilities past intermediate level. You might pick up a few lines.
Oshin is a good & (too) long drama but they mostly speak the Tohoku dialect. It is more like southern accent in USA and the people look down on it like you are a country bumpkin.
Learn at your peril.

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/12 06:06
Thank you for the comment, amazinga.

I major in Japanese (my 2nd year) so I should be intermediate soon.

Good call on dialects. Forgot about that. I doubt my knowledge of the language is good enough to tell different dialects apart.
by susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommend a drama for me? 2012/2/12 13:29
Here are some that has been most viewed in these 10 years.

I think every Japanese has at least seen some episodes or scenes from them.

1) Kaseifu no Mita
2) Hero
3) Hyaku Ikkaime no Propose
4) Hitotsu Yane no Shita
5) Ienaki ko
by Dramas (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread