Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/18 00:11
I would like to know why don't they put ginger in sashimi , because of they put ginger in sushi and maki rolls dishes. It there any reason why. I am studying about japanese food.
by Ye Naung  

Re: Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/18 08:31
They do. They use whichever fits the fish better. Generally speaking, wasabi is more often used than ginger. But typically, if the sashimi has a slightly fishy smell, then ginger is used to neutralize the smell.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/18 13:51
Sushi is a finger food(often, not always). Sashimi is not. Ginger neutralizes the fishy smell on fingers.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/18 17:19
Wasabi is used in sashimi to counter food poisoning and safeguard against toxins.

Ginger aids in digestion. Often there is a dash of wasabi in sushi esp with raw seafood.

Wasabi is necessary for all raw seafood unless really fresh from live fish after caught. Ginger is optional.

Rarely for adults but it happens to a huge proportion in children, there is a specific disease affecting diners of a few species of raw scavengers eg., crab.

by Donaldl rate this post as useful

gari 2012/2/19 02:43
I think the OP means the sliced ginger pickles which we call "gari" and not the shredded ones. I agree with Ay.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/19 03:56
Then I have a question for ay (or Uco). Even when sushi is a "finger food," gari is not, is it? Then how would it work that the gari would neutralize the fish odor on the fingers? Or am I mistaken, and I should not have been handling the gari only with chopsticks all these years?
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Why don't they put ginger in sashimi dishes? 2012/2/19 12:14
You eat gari with your fingers, too. I found a sushi bar blog to comfirm it.

http://ichii445.blog42.fc2.com/blog-category-12.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread