Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 18:31
Hi guys, I have just completed a trip to tokyo and visited the Yushima Tenjin shrine. I bought this study charm below and i am curious as to what to do with the big paper thing behind the charm. Anybody is able to shed some light about it?

http://i.imgur.com/bKNUL.jpg
by kxloki (guest)  

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 19:42
The note at the top says, for the paper one, "place it on the portable shrine at home or above your study desk respectfully" ("respectfully" meaning do not handle it rough, crush it, or something of the sort, but decorate properly), for the smaller one and "carry the charm with you."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 19:45
Thanks so much for your help (:

And I also understand that charms should be disposed of after a year at the original shrine where I got it from. How do I go about doing this? Is there a collection box in the shrine?

What will happen if I can only go back to the shrine a few years later to dispose the charms.
by Kxloki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 19:59
You go "return" them to the shrine after one year, thanking the charms for granting you what you wished for or for protecting you for the year, not "dispose" of them, though that's what you do in practical terms :)

- Yes, there will be a collection box (if you go at the season when many people go pray), or the people at the shrine will take them anyway. At the same time, you "could" buy the charm for the following year if you want to.
- Nothing bad will happen even if you go back after a few years :) Um, I think I have a few charms from Kyoto and other shrines that I don't get to go to too often...

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 20:05
Thanks so much for your help!

And yeap, I meant to return it instead of disposing ^^

Hope that somebody can help me translate this on the back of the portable shrine I bought from Meiji shrine.
(understand that this should fall under the translation sub section)

http://i.imgur.com/BA9U7.jpg

From what I can briefly understand from the kanji, I am supposed to pray to the shrine daily?

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 20:39
"Shrine(-shaped) charm for your academic success

Place this charm respectfully in your study room/den, pray/pay respect to it every day to refresh your mind/self, and dedicate yourself to your studies.
Meiji Shrine"

Re: Charm from Yushima Tenjin shrine 2012/2/26 20:40
Thanks so much for your help!

Now I understand better (:

reply to this thread