Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Must Visit Video Game Stores 2012/3/19 01:54
I'm visiting Japan later this week and considering I'm a huge video game fan I'd love to know if there are any "must visit" video game stores in the Tokyo area. Right now my list is Super Potato, Pokemon Center, konamistyle and Square-Enix. Also, are there any more stores from individual game companies like the Square and the Konami ones?

Thanks.
by Anubis (guest)  

Re: Must Visit Video Game Stores 2012/3/21 08:02
When it comes to the Square Enix store, don't expect too much. It's a small retail store and what they mostly have is the latest craze, Dragon Quest. They have lots of plushies from that and I would say 40% of their floor space is related to that. There is a small wall with all the videogames they have produced and the rest of that side of the store has small character figurine boxes from a few of the latest series: Kingdom Hearts, FF13, etc. Up a few stairs they have a jewelry section for some of the series.

I hope I didn't spoil it for you, but I don't want you to go there and be disappointed at what you find.

I did walk by two Pokemon centers. The one in Fukuoka train station (Hakata) was smaller than the one in Yokohama (Landmark Plaza). They do seem to have much more items for sale than the Square Enix store. I just happen to walk by on a Sunday (Hakata) and an holiday (Yokohama) so they were obviously crowded with children.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Must Visit Video Game Stores 2013/3/29 05:57
hi,

Please can you post your views on the video games stores (Super Potato etc)?

I'm heading over to Japan in May - and also a big video game fan - both new and retro

thanks
by And (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Must Visit Video Game Stores 2013/3/29 08:17
Hello!

I'm a BIG video game fan myself and I hope visiting Akihabara is on you're itinerary, and if it isn't, add it immediately!

I thought it would be only about anime and maids when I visited Tokyo, but when I went into a few stores on my own I found out there are video game stores that have multiple levels based on different platforms. They had all kinds of games, new and retro. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the stores, but they were on the main strip of Akihabara.

If you're planing to buy games, I recommend used ones. Video games in Japan can be VERY expensive. I was looking for a reasonable Pokemon Black 2 for almost the whole month I was traveling Japan and couldn't find one under $60 American dollars. When I found the video game store in Akihabara though, and went onto the DS game level, I was able to find a used one in mint condition for about $48 American dollars and couldn't pass it up! Make sure all of the markings are A, which means it's the best used condition you can get. (I'll put a picture of my game here so you can see what I mean).

http://tinypic.com/r/2d7d0tl/6

The only thing is for DS games, make sure your DS is one that will play Japanese games. I bought the used Pokemon Black 2 in Japan a couple of months before it came out in America, but forgot my 3DS wouldn't be able to play it. Luckily I brought my old original DS on the trip so I was able to play the game on the plane ride back home.

What John has said about Square Enix is true, there isn't much there. When I visited it was all about Dragon Quest. I was able to play a preview and got a cute free little fan, but other than that, it wasn't super special. I would say still go to see it and visit, but don't be expecting a huge retail shop of their games.

I was able to walk through a Pokemon center (don't remember which one) and it was much more fun and had a lot of retail items that I would have loved to buy if I had more cash on me at the time. If you're a big Pokemon fan like I am, then you will have a great time looking through those stores.

Have fun!
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: Must Visit Video Game Stores 2013/3/29 09:43
Any major games stores in Osaka/Kansai that I can patronise?
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread