Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much makes a meal? 2012/3/20 01:54
Hello, I do like a variety of Japanese food, especially small plates like robata or things like sushi roll and tomago nigiri, or onigiri.

I would like to know how much I should order when I'm at a restaurant serving these items individual style. (I am female).

Sushi--one roll is usually 4-6 pieces (or 8 small pieces) at restaurants near me.

Nigiri--I have seen both singly or in pairs

Onigiri sizes have been all over the place

Most robata I've seen is for one small skewer, about 4 inches long

Are there any common guidelines as to how much I should order or how I should put together a meal? Most places also have miso soup and cucumber salads. Can you give me examples of standard size meals with these types of foods?

I dont know what is bad manners to order.
by shannikitty (guest)  

Re: How much makes a meal? 2012/3/20 15:33
What country are you in? That would make a difference.
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much makes a meal? 2012/3/20 20:53
Sushi and Nigiri is the same thing. Sushi is nigiri.

If you go to a kaiten-sushi shop, one plate is between 150 to 500 yen. You just pick what you want. The cost would stay in between 2,000 to 3,000 yen unless you eat double. If you go to an authentic sushi bar, it would cost you like 5,000 yen or more no matter what you eat.

Robata is not served at suchi restaurants. You must go to robata style izakaya place. It would cost you 3,000-4,000 with some beer or some other drinks. You just ordere what you eat. Nobody complains about your order.

Izakaya places usually have a menue with photos of the dishes, so just order what you feel like you eat.
by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much makes a meal? 2012/3/20 21:32
Thank you. I am in America but I am going to be eating with some Japanese guests soon and would like to order appropriately. In my area, we have restaurants that serve both robata and sushi together on the same menu, noodles and other things too but I typically prefer the small plates.

I'd really like to know what is standard because in America I think people usually eat too much at Japanese restaurants.
by shannikitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much makes a meal? 2012/3/21 09:25
I'd really like to know what is standard because in America I think people usually eat too much at Japanese restaurants.

There is no standard, but you would typically start with a few drinks and dishes, and then order more until you are satisfied.

Sushi and Nigiri is the same thing. Sushi is nigiri.

That's not quite right. Nigiri is sushi, but not all sushi is nigiri. Think makizushi, gunkanzushi, temakizushi, etc.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread