Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/28 23:16
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows details about koutou senmon gakkou in Japan.
I was trying to translate into japanese my schooling level which in my language (Italian) is: "Scuola Superiore Tecnico Industriale per l'Elettronica e le Telecomunicazioni" (Superior Technical School for Electronics and Telecommunication) after elementary and "medium" school in Italy, you can enter this type of school which last 5 years and trains you in a technical profession (subjects included in the last year included advanced physics and linear algebra to name a few).

Could koutou senmon gakkou be the japanese equivalent?

Thank you in advance for your help!

David
by David (guest)  

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/29 08:53
What age are you when you graduate and do you receive any technical degree or certification upon graduation?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/29 13:08
Scuola Superiore Tecnico Industriale per l'Elettronica e le Telecomunicazioni" (Superior Technical School for Electronics and Telecommunication
can be translated to
i‚˜‚˜‚˜?jH‹Ζ‚“™ŠwZ(“dŽq’ʐMHŠwκ–εj(name?)kogyo koto gakkoidenshi tsushin kougaku senmon)
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/29 17:03
Yes, after you graduate you receive a "graduation diploma" (certified/accredited by the italian government's ministry of education).
In these technical schools (after 5 years) you become a "Perito" (which means an "expert") in the specified technical field.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/29 17:30
Forgot to mention: when you finish the school you are generally 18 or near 19 years old (depending on when you entered school)

@Ay:how many years does that last in Japan? Ho old are you when you come out? Do you get a government accredited professional qualification? (ie: graduation Diploma)

What's the difference with a koutou senmon gakkou?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/30 11:27
Based on what you've said Koutou Senmon Gakko sounds closest. They are Technical Colleges (2-5 year programs that can combine high school with college) where you graduate with an associates degree in a technical field.

On the other hand, Kougyou Koto Gakko are Technical High Schools. These are regular (typically lower level) high schools (3 year program) with a vocational emphasis. The students don't necessarily have any technical qualifications when they graduate, but they may continue on to Kouto Senmon Gakko afterwards.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What is koutou senmon gakkou? 2012/3/30 17:15
@yllwsmrf

Thanks!
And by the way, I just realized that following a recent reform (2010/2011), the name of these schools has been indeed changed to "College of Technology".

Anyway, thanks again.

reply to this thread